New Pygmy Octopus Question

RangerBlue381

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2013
New Jersey
I just picked up a supposed Atlantic Pygmy Octopus 2 days ago. I researched it and based from what I heard set him up ina 35 gallon hexagon tank with live rock and live sand. LFS (Absolutely Fish) said he had been eaten frozen food there so based off what I heard on how hard it is to get them off live I picked it up. I trust most of what they say so I feel confident in what they say. The tank was cycled and I've had snails, emerald crabs, and hermit crabs in there waiting to find the right octopus. I can't get pictures since he hides in the day between the live rock and the tank edge. How long should I anticipate him to stay hiding and acclimating.

Any information would be appreciated.

Next up will be a seahorse tank to sit next to it. Growing one out in a 20 high tank with a clown goby and 2 dart fish. He eats frozen like a fiend and recognized me after 2 days. As much as I said I'd never go saltwater I guess that didn't last. Though not getting rid of my freshwater stingray tank. After this guy http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/motoro-update-spotty.670035/ (he's doubled outer spots since the pic) there's no way I can get rid of them. Guess I need to convince the wife to allow more tanks. Anyone know hypnosis or tomorrow's winning mega millions tickets?

Sorry no pics. Trying to get my daughter to go to sleep and she has a sixth sense when I try to sneak out.

Reactions: Cu455

Brobstfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2012
USA
I have seen a few of these when I used to work at my lfs a few years ago. From what I know they are very short lived, some of ours surviving only for a few weeks as its hard to determine age. They always hid, but were very fun to watch, especially during feeding time. Very interesting little creatures.

Reactions: fishfanatic80

fishfanatic80

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2011
Long island
Brobstfish hit the nail on the head, generally any small species of octopus imported in have a general life span of only a year and a half. By the time your local fish store gets them the octopus is most likely already a year old, leaving you with only six months of enjoyment with good care. Most likely your octopus will hide for most of the day, most are nocturnal hunters when crusteaceans are most active. What species of seahorse do you own?

Reactions: Brobstfish
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store