New salt WLR and existing Brackish

passon13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2013
florida
Hello everyone. It's been a few years since I've been on here. I have a 55 gallon brackish tank that has a few Molly and a spotted scat. It's salinity is 1.016 right now. Eventually want to go full marine and have a FO tank. What larger marine fish could fit in here comfortably?

I also just started a 20 gallon with live rock, which is something I'm new to. I still want to get more LR but I did have a question. The store is selling them 50% off because they have so many. The lady said they have been in the tanks for about 6 months. Do I still need to cure? Also when would it be safe to put fish? I don't really want clowns, so any suggestions? There are two turbo snails atm.

Thanks for the help!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Was there any Coralline Algae on the live rock at lfs that would indicate if live rock is cured or not, also other invertebrates such as feather duster, and small species of corals may be attached to live rock.:)

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Btw your lighting is critical for live rock, and corals, go led for reef aquariums, today its less expensive to buy lighting equipment for reef setups, I had to use metal halide along with actinic bulbs to sustain the creatures in my aquarium.

passon13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2013
florida
Thanks! Ya two of them have coralline on them. Also the lighting I have is a t8 bulb. I'm assuming that isn't ok? Do I need actinic? There are some little white string starfish looking things on it. I read a little on them and people debate whether they are good or bad. I guess if they aren't harming anything I am ok.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Is that wood I see in the 20 ? I would make sure aquarium is fully cycled before placing cured live rock in because you kill what's living on it.

passon13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2013
florida
The wood will kill what's on the rock? The wood has been in the tank for like 4 years when it was fw still. I don't think there's anything on the wood. No growth or critters.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Thanks! Ya two of them have coralline on them. Also the lighting I have is a t8 bulb. I'm assuming that isn't ok? Do I need actinic? There are some little white string starfish looking things on it. I read a little on them and people debate whether they are good or bad. I guess if they aren't harming anything I am ok.

Its been years since I've had a reef setup, type in actinic lighting in the search bar and see what other members recommend.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
The wood will kill what's on the rock? The wood has been in the tank for like 4 years when it was fw still. I don't think there's anything on the wood. No growth or critters.

Just make sure it won't affect your ph.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store