New Tank, Weird Growth....

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Do you mean the green algae on the glass?
That's totally normal, and its a normal part of every aquarium, and every aquarists routine maintenance to regularly scrape off. It can be green, brown and reddish.
I use a razor blade to scrape it off, I have one attached to PVC to get down in deep tanks, and there are also commercial magnetic scrapers if you don't want to put your hands in the tank.

Reactions: CaliHZ

CaliHZ

Feeder Fish
Sep 27, 2015
I ended up just scraping it off with a sponge tank cleaner, two small spots have since appeared to be re-growing, but as long as it's just routine maintenance and nothing to be worried about that's all that matters....maybe a little trivial to some but like myou bio says first time tank owner and I just wanted to be sure :/

CaliHZ

Feeder Fish
Sep 27, 2015
Do you mean the green algae on the glass?
That's totally normal, and its a normal part of every aquarium, and every aquarists routine maintenance to regularly scrape off. It can be green, brown and reddish.
I use a razor blade to scrape it off, I have one attached to PVC to get down in deep tanks, and there are also commercial magnetic scrapers if you don't want to put your hands in the tank.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Yes nothing to worry about, some people find that adding real aquatic plants slows it down a bit, because they compete for the same nutrients in the water, but you need tons of live plants to compete with it. And in my tanks, it grows on the plants.
I don't bother removing it on the back and sides because newly hatched fish will graze on it.
There are many different types of algae, some more palatable to some fishthan others.
I also encourage certain types (hair algae for one), because some adult vegetarian fish will eat it.
My bocourti and Etroplus suratensus gorge on it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store