New Tank with New Fishes

fazl1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2016
Singapore
Hello all.

I'm gonna be setting up a new 6ft by 2.5ft by 2.5ft tank next month and am currently planning on the fishes to put into the tank.

I have kept the the following fishes (like abt 2 mths before selling them off) and this time im planning to put them all together into the new tank and keep them longer. The fishes are:
1) 1 x Asian Green Arowana
2) 1 x Channa Diplogramma
3) 1 x Gold Wolf Fish
4) School of Red Hook Silver Dollars (6-8 pcs)
Gonna start them all at around the 3" - 4" size and watch them grow.

Question is, can the fishes i listed above be able to comm together without any of them killing each other?
Are there any precautions/issues i should be aware of now before i buy the fishes?

Thanks in advance for the comments.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I see the snakehead as a big problem. As long as the arowana is as big as the gold wolf them should be fine. Especially with the dithers!

Reactions: Red Aimara

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Singapore seem to have some nice fish by the way.

Reactions: fazl1

fazl1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2016
Singapore
I see the snakehead as a big problem. As long as the arowana is as big as the gold wolf them should be fine. Especially with the dithers!
Thanks kno4te.

I understand that the channa diplogramma when fully grown will be bigger than my arowana.

The only other channa species which i know to be "identical" in terms of size is the channa pleurophthalma, which i am actually gonna be doing a seperate tank just to house a community of 9 of them in a similar size tank.

fazl1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2016
Singapore
i may just abandon the whole idea of keeping the channa diplogramma with the arowana and wolf fish and see if other fishes can catch my fancy.

Having a predator tank and planning out the tank mates is sure giving me a headache..

Now if only the wife would allow it, i would have a tank just solely for the channa diplogramma.. And that is a very big IF.

Reactions: Renegade Aquatics

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I've seen pleuros with tankmates. Could always try.

Much more risky with other snakeheads. Ticking time bomb waiting to go off.

Reactions: Renegade Aquatics

fazl1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2016
Singapore
I've seen pleuros with tankmates. Could always try.

Much more risky with other snakeheads. Ticking time bomb waiting to go off.

Yeah.. kinda hard to pair up snakeheads with other fishes.
Not planning to have a repeat of the pleuro with the aro as im dedicating an entire tank for them.

Need a fish to swim actively in the water column as i got the top and bottom covered.

Any recommendations?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Atf maybe an option.

Reactions: fazl1

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
If you do consider atf then may need to reconsider the gold wolf. Maybe a mala or something more in the hoplias sp.

Golds are very active and can be a terror, especially on smaller fish. Golds will swim and be active in the middle zone as well. Hoplias group are tolerant as they more toward the bottom.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store