New to canister filters

fishkeeper01

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2014
Hawaii
Hi all, so I've been looking into canister filters as I've been hearing how good they are. I've never used one before, but i.would like to look into it. My question is what are the betterror brands of canisters that give you the most bang for your buck. And also how do you go about doing filter media in those baskets?

Benno87

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2015
Australia
Eheim and fluval seem to get good reports and pretty reliable but are generally pricy. Have heard people on here talking out some of the cheaper Chinese models being pretty decent though. As far as media goes I run my baskets each with half ceramic noodles or Seachem matrix and half sponge(course in lower baskets, fine in upper baskets)if that helps. I tend to fill them up with extra media as wel as what they come with. Then it's just a matter of matching the right sized filter to your tank size.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Eheim is the better for reliability and quality. A lot of members here will for sure recommend it. For my ark I have a sun sun, Chinese model, like benno mentioned. It's all about the price point for the sun sun. I also have ceramic media, seachem matrix and filter floss in there for my mech and bio filtration. The baskets will about 3 let's say and u can decide what goes in them. But the very bottom will have the filter and above will be media. Still got to do ur wc maintenance for your tank. The canister is in addition to it.

Reactions: boldtogether

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Canisters are not exactly better than say a hang on top(HOB). Canisters have their pros and cons. Pros: they are cleaner profile since they can be hidden and allow the tank to be closer against a wall; hold more media. Cons: much more effort to clean out; more leakag/flooding potential.

For a 45, I would recommend you just keep things simple and go with two AquaClear70 HOBs. Its more beneficial to run multiple smaller filters than one large single unit. If you're still set on using a canister, then I recommend then Sunsun HW302. It's rated for a 75gal, so in actuality will be perfect for a 45gal, and it'll cost you less than $50. I actually own this particular model and 2 of their largest modells, so I know they work just fine.

But, as already stated, mechanical filtration units does not replace water changes. Aim for 50% weekly at the very minimum, but more is better

Reactions: fishnatics

fishkeeper01

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2014
Hawaii
Ok cool, oh and for the sunsun hw 302, does it only come with a spray bar? Or does it also have the basic outflow nozzle?

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
i suggest you google for what it comes with. for a tank that small would go with a Ehiem 2215 classic

very basic and very reliable, I would still add a AC70 or 110 HoB for mech filtration. again very reliable

Reactions: Supervee

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Ok cool, oh and for the sunsun hw 302, does it only come with a spray bar? Or does it also have the basic outflow nozzle?
Just the spray bar, but I only use the 90 degree elbow

ksage15

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2014
Ohio
For canisters, I highly recommend fluval. They are pricey filters and many believe they are overpriced, but I've yet to find a brand that is better in quality and ease of use for a canister. Check Amazon and you can often find good deals on them, sometimes even lightly used. I have a 200 gallon, a 110 and a 75 and I run all fluval. They keep my water crystal clear, couldn't be happier. The other brands I've tried I find very frustrating to work with it and they just don't seem to run as well.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
Ksag I have had nothing but bad experience the the fuval canisters, love there AC HoB line. auquaclear Hob same company. Best Hob out there and have been for years IMHO but my experience with there canisters just bad.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store