New to forums

Bigboris

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2016
Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum.. actually this the first forum i have ever joined in my life. My name is Richard, I am from Honolulu Hawaii but currently residing out of country. I have a 120gal tank, with 6 healthy bright Red bellies. They are about 6-7 inches now. I recently purchased a new batch of 10 Red Belly Fry and raised them in a 75gal tank until they were about the size of a quarter. I then moved the decor in the 120gal to offset the territory, and also gave the fry places to hide. I introduced them during the night and I woke up yesterday to only 1 fry left. Could someone give me some insight on something i could have done wrong.

MAHALO.
Richard Yee
Hi Richard, I've never kept red bellys although i do like them and nearly had them about a month ago when I saw some nice looking ones in my LFS, but went for golden cobra snakehead instead, what you said sounds a lot like when I've tried to add smaller malawis to my Malawi tank in the past, they always end up getting ripped to shreds straight away! The only time I've had success adding new fish to my Malawi tank is if they have been of a bigger or similar size, and adding 3 or 4 at a time, hope that can help you a little with your red bellys

Richard8oh8

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2016
Honolulu, Hawaii
Hi Richard, I've never kept red bellys although i do like them and nearly had them about a month ago when I saw some nice looking ones in my LFS, but went for golden cobra snakehead instead, what you said sounds a lot like when I've tried to add smaller malawis to my Malawi tank in the past, they always end up getting ripped to shreds straight away! The only time I've had success adding new fish to my Malawi tank is if they have been of a bigger or similar size, and adding 3 or 4 at a time, hope that can help you a little with your red bellys

Hi i ended up just leaving my tank as is. I was told by other members in the forum that my tank doesn't have the length or sheer size for any additions. Also i can only get the babies here in shanghai unfortunately. I just lost 25 babies so idk if i wanna try again.

Reactions: Bigboris

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I dont think they can hybridise being from different continents, are there CA/SA jewel cichlids?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store