New to Polypterus - Substrate Advice!

ShanerBock888

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2016
Warwick, NY
I recently just got my first poly and soon I will be getting a couple more. For now they'll be in a 35 gal with a brownish gravel, but soon they'll be moved to a 180 and I'm trying to decide on a substrate color for the new tank. I've seen that white dulls them out, Black darkens them up but reduces contrast, and Red is the best for keeping blacks black and light colors bright while maintaining contrast. Unfortunately, I really really don't like red. So my question is, what does everyone think is another good option for keeping their colors sharp? So far I really like the way my Senegalus' colors have adjusted in the gravel I have her on now, but I don't have much to compare it to. What would be great is if people could post pics of the same poly with different substrate for comparison, but any advice is appreciated!

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I recently just got my first poly and soon I will be getting a couple more. For now they'll be in a 35 gal with a brownish gravel, but soon they'll be moved to a 180 and I'm trying to decide on a substrate color for the new tank. I've seen that white dulls them out, Black darkens them up but reduces contrast, and Red is the best for keeping blacks black and light colors bright while maintaining contrast. Unfortunately, I really really don't like red. So my question is, what does everyone think is another good option for keeping their colors sharp? So far I really like the way my Senegalus' colors have adjusted in the gravel I have her on now, but I don't have much to compare it to. What would be great is if people could post pics of the same poly with different substrate for comparison, but any advice is appreciated!

J jaws7777
DMD123 DMD123
Dr.B Dr.B
Polyaddict86 Polyaddict86
kno4te kno4te
Vancouver_98683 Vancouver_98683
ExoticGREEN ExoticGREEN

Last edited:

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
If ur happy with the look of it now on ur current gravel....then ur set. But yes garnett/red toward that color tame is the best to bring out bichirs colors.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
This is my endli on the CaribSea Peace River

Endli and weeksii

Koliba

Teugelsi

Overall I think the endli and koliba would benefit from red but I don't think the weeksii and teugelsi it would matter one bit.

ShanerBock888

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2016
Warwick, NY
If ur happy with the look of it now on ur current gravel....then ur set. But yes garnett/red toward that color tame is the best to bring out bichirs colors.
Haha yeah I kinda agree, but since these are my first poly's I can't help but wonder if I'd be MORE happy with another color. I'd always wonder "what if" lol

DMD123 DMD123 yeah they look great on that, definitely going to seriously consider that one

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I understand. The other people on the forum have some great polys to show you.

Mine are fades out on plain white gravel.

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
Welcome to the addictive world of polys!

I use Carib Sea Peace River sand is
and am happy with the overall look of my polys. I guess my endli and koliba lap. would show better on the red but my weeksii, teugelsi show just fine.
+1 on Caribesea natural products is a good natural choice would be 2nd/3rd selection after red. Believe this color medly is aesthetically the best natural look for the tank. I mixed my red gravel into my caribesea Floramax (plant type clay mix.same colors as the sand).

IMG_0671.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store