New to Polypterus - Substrate Advice!

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
My "sand" came in and it is a larger grain like peace river. It is a flat back and looks to be natural and not a coated product. I would almost compare it to aquarium carbon in looks. I cruched some larger pieces with a hammer and they broke solid color all the way through. It is mixed with a white grain sand which seem to be larger than the black and adds a nice salt and pepper look with the dominant color being black. I washed a little bit in a cup and it seems like a dirty product that will require good rinsing. I like the look and think I will mix it into the peace river after I do a good gravel vac. I just need to remember to post a before and after pic. Might not notice much difference since its 20 lbs black to the 150 lbs of peace river, lol.

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
My "sand" came in and it is a larger grain like peace river. It is a flat back and looks to be natural and not a coated product. I would almost compare it to aquarium carbon in looks. I cruched some larger pieces with a hammer and they broke solid color all the way through. It is mixed with a white grain sand which seem to be larger than the black and adds a nice salt and pepper look with the dominant color being black. I washed a little bit in a cup and it seems like a dirty product that will require good rinsing. I like the look and think I will mix it into the peace river after I do a good gravel vac. I just need to remember to post a before and after pic. Might not notice much difference since its 20 lbs black to the 150 lbs of peace river, lol.
Cant wait to see the new substrate on your tank.:)

Reactions: DMD123

Binge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2014
Ohio
Will likely be a notable difference realy. I accidentaly blasted some black sand from my big tank into my community tank when doing water changes the other day took a week for that palmfull of sand to mix in enough not to be noticed.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Been so busy working around the house I really have not had time to get to this. I do think it will do well with the peace river since it is sized very closely. just not sure how much can be mixed in without it looking too weird. I dont want to have the sand bed too much deeper and I probably could add the bag I bought and maybe one more and the depth would look right. Dont know how the color mix would be... Anyway will take pics when I actually start the process.

ShanerBock888

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2016
Warwick, NY
Is it normal that my sen has grown an inch and more than doubled in girth in just a month? I mean she looks very healthy and is very active I just thought that polys, and in particular upper jaws, grow kinda slowly. She's growing almost as fast as my tiger shovelnose and they're notoriously fast growers

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
Is it normal that my sen has grown an inch and more than doubled in girth in just a month? I mean she looks very healthy and is very active I just thought that polys, and in particular upper jaws, grow kinda slowly. She's growing almost as fast as my tiger shovelnose and they're notoriously fast growers
Thats normal, my sen grow fast from 1.5" to about 5" in 2 months then it started to slow down.

Damn you have a TSN, i use to have two TSN it grow from 1" to 14" in one year then after i had it for 3 years its almost 3' and i had got donate it to the zoo cause it got to big.

ShanerBock888

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2016
Warwick, NY
Thats normal, my sen grow fast from 1.5" to about 5" in 2 months then it started to slow down.

Damn you have a TSN, i use to have two TSN it grow from 1" to 14" in one year then after i had it for 3 years its almost 3' and i had got donate it to the zoo cause it got to big.
ah ok, didn't see that much in my research before I got her so it took me by surprise.

yeah I have a TSN and a RTCxTSN, soon they'll be moved to a 600 gal and eventually into a 2000-2500 gal. Love those guys, they're what took me from a semi-casual fishkeeper to an addict haha. Probably going to be adding another big cat soon but haven't decided between a giraffe or a ripsaw.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store