New to salt

Afcichlids

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2015
I know that there are tons of things written out there that tell you what you need to do to get started but I'm looking for Some advice/suggestions as every case is different. Also if there is a well written guide I'll be more than happy to read it but there is so much out there I just want to ensure I get the best advice for my situation.

I bought a Craig's list tank from a guy that seems to know his stuff. He ran a LFS for years and you can tell by the way it was kept. It's a 150g tall with a 40g sump and 180lb of live rock. It had no substrate so I added 40lb live sand, and 100lb of argonite. It has a massive light that was quite frankly rigged Because there is no top to the tank so I have my LPS looking into getting a canopy and I'm also researching how to build one so I can mount the light in it.

Light is 4 t5 bulbs 8 large blue LED and 2 large Hallogen. I assume it would be good enough to grow coral.

Tank has been running for 3 years. There are fish stock is
Potter Angel
Niger Triger
2 clowns
Yellow tang
Flame hawk
And a black damsel
He has been adding algen copepods and I have ordered more

I also moved the entire tank and all water I only needed to mix 5g to top off tank.

I know I will need a qt tank and I plan to get a 10g. I do want corals I was going to buy a 55g he had but wound up with the 150 because the price was just unbeatable (he moved 500 miles away today so it was firestorm sell). Anyway I want to do it right so question is several fold.

First should I do corals or wait?
For 10g qt tank what kind of light?
What special dips and things would you suggest to help ensure I don't introduce baddies in the tank?
What would be the best type to start with?

Any other advice you are willing to share I am all ears. I have kept fish for years and years this is the first salt tank. Any tips and got ya's you could or would share I would really appreciate it.

I know I'm that guy asking for something that is already out there a 100 times over but you get mixed information in each one. I read 4 beginners guide and got 4 different ways to do it. The only thing that has been in common is a qt tank but that's a given. If you guys know of a good guide that really covers most information the best and doesn't have me grown coral in a qt tank for 2 months like 1 suggested I'm all ears.

Thanks.

Afcichlids

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2015
What types would you start with? After reading the post about some of the corals making people extremely ill I want to stay as far away from that as possible.

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
I would use at least a 20 gal quarantine tank and freshwater dip and then quarantine new arrivals. Most Triggers and Angels aren't considered coral friendly....

Afcichlids

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2015
Yeah I have read that but I think my trigger is going to be ok as I have snails and shrimp in the tank and he doesn't mess with it nor does the Angel. They seem very chill but not sure so I thought I would at least try it if there isn't anything else I missed. What should I start with?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store