NEW TO THE CICHLIDS WORLD NEED SOME ADVICES

COG Commando

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2011
West Bend, WI
It won't hurt at all to run both. I run an FX5 and an Aquaclear 110 on my 75 gallon that is heavily stocked with mbuna. Also don't listen to the folks telling you not to listen to ANY fish store employees... there are knowledgeable people out there, you just have to be wary and research, research, research.

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
yea make it 4 and yes ounce again i did not know anything about a cycle i guess rookie mistake now i feel like **** because all the fish are starting to die and i will go to the pet store and buy the fx tomorrow should i run both at ounce or just the fx.....................
Hey no prob man, i did the exact samething even after being one year deep in the hobby, this is a good place to learn so always ask q's!!!

Just do 2-3 30-50% water changes weekly and have Seachem Prime on hand to dechlorinate tap water thus making it safe for fish and it will detox AMMONIA! The bigget thing here is getting a test kit at ur lfs (maybe a api master kit) and keeping an eye on ammonia cuz fish and waste produce ammonia. Theres 2 types of BENIFICIAL BACTERIA: BACTERIA THAT CONVERTS AMMONIA INTO NITRITES AND NITRITES TO NITRATES AND NITRATES ARE REMOVED THRU WATER CHANGES AND UR STOCK IS GOING TO REQUIRE ATLEAST 1 LG (50%) WATER CHANGE WEEKELY EVEN AFTER BB IS ESTABLISHED!

Goodluck and DONT OVERFEED AT THIS POINT!

#1 S. Vettel

fr3sco

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2012
long island
yea the guy at the store told me to buy crawfish to control the waste i bought 4 he said that should be sufficient for the amount of fish i have right now did he mislead me on that or was he right also what other species of fresh water finish can live with cichlids? .............. the ph on the tap water where im from is 7.4 or 7.6 straight from the tap i filled the tank Saturday night and added the fish sunday at about 1 pm i added one bottle of ph up and ran the ph kit the reading was 8.1 the bit of research i did on these guys said perfect ph for them is 8.2 is that right also?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store