Nurse shark pup: A rescue animal

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
yogurt_21;4452288; said:
keep us posted, definelty interested in seeing how it turns out. How do you typically handle feeding after an extraction? definetly wouldn't want any foods that could tear at the stitching I'd imagine.
Tube feeding. We started him off that way, and do it occationally to get meds/high nutrional loads into him from time to time.

Bottomfeeder;4452497; said:
Why the hell would someone (10 people) try to foul-hook a Nurse Shark??
Great job Zoodiver... that's what I wanna do when I grow up... work with and try to save wildlife.

Great question, to me a nurse shark isn't even a 'sport' type shark to fish for.

kdrun76

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2009
CT
Nurse sharks aren't typically the target species of anglers. They are by-catch and therefor annoying and useless to the captain hence the poor treatment once hooked.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
There are actually a lot of people around here who target them for the fight, and to sell them on the street. We had a case last year of a guy who caught one, then hauled it (alive) onto the metro train trying to sell it.

As for an update, the little guy is eating very well on his own now. That in and of itself is a big step. Now we can move forward.

yogurt_21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2009
AZ, USA
glad to hear it, (the eating on his own thing, not the crazy trying to sell a shark on a train)

good luck on the next steps

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Wow. I know Sarah. (Girl from the van pic) That was funny. Hope this guy is still making a recovery.

nitrofish1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2008
Northern Illinois
dont think id shark fish, just cuz i like them too much :/

but great video, and great job!

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
After the next X ray, talk is to move our current nurse shark in the main Reef display to the big shark display and have this little guy move into the Reef.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store