Odd Start to November

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; This early November is interesting so far. It has been unseasonably warm so far. No cold nites for a week or so, highs in the 70's F. My grass grew out enough for a round of mowing, first time in November for me. It takes me three sessions to push mow and I mowed the first area last Tuesday. When getting the mower from the shed I noticed some feces (scat, poo, droppings) in the back yard. It was something I am not familiar with but I did not check into it.

I mowed the second area on Wednesday and later took advantage of the nice day by going to Norris Lake. Beautiful few hours on the water. Warm and no wind. I stayed until the start of sunset which was striking on the water. As I was about to quit fishing, I caught a nice black bass (largemouth) on my 5 wt flyrod. I had been casting a top water fly I tie on a #10 hook with blue deer body hair. Tokk a bit to land the fish. The hook was in the tough outer lip and removed very easy as I flatten the barbs. Released with no harm other than being pissed at being caught. A fine day.

Finished the last of the yard today. Went over to talk with my neighbor who is trying to sell an old truck. I found out the elementary school about a half mile from me was on lockdown a few days ago. Several people had seen a black bear with cubs nearby. Had wildlife people and local sherrifs around. As usual I had missed all that and was possibly the last to know.

Took a while but things clicked for me. I looked up bear scat on the web. It seems that much depends on what the bear has been eating, but some pictures looked much like what is in my back yard and on the driveway. If it was the bears they were within ten feet of my back door at some time. Again I missed it.

Reactions: harris522

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Time to go pick up some pepper spray.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Bears close to school is a scary situation
Grizzlies yes, black bear....meh

I don't find black bears any worst than some large stray dogs

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Grizzlies yes, black bear....meh

I don't find black bears any worst than some large stray dogs
Hello; I have crossed paths with black bears in the Smoky Mts. a few times. I give them distance and so far no issues. I met a female with two cubs in a stream one time about 30 yards away. I stood still and they went on their way. The danger around kids may be that a kid might approach the bear too close. Pepper spray should work. It works on some dogs, but not all. May also be time for a bear proof garbbage can if they start to be common.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; November continues to be warmer than normal here. Went fishing again last week on amild day. May need to mow again which will make twice in November and has not happened before.

I had an interesting thing happen at the local Kroger parking lot. When I pulled in there was a nice studebaker from the 1950's parked. I wandered over to look. The owner had driven it down to meet the buyer he intended to sell it to. While we were talking the owner asked another fellow and I to help him with a prank and we did.

The buyer drives up. When he gets out of his car and comes over the seller says. "I think there may be a problem with our deal." The buyer looks around about the time the first prankster next to me says, "I told you I will give $20,000 for the car." The buyer just stops and looks at him and then back to the seller, but never says a word. (20 K is way more than their deal by the way.) After a brief silence I chime in with, " I'll go $20,500." We then have about 30 seconds of silence. The buyer never says a word, he is looking around between the three of us. The sellers wife is snapping pictures. I finally say. "Do we need to wait for him to say something before letting him know it is a joke?" I think everyone but the buyer got a chuckle out of it. I went in and did some light shopping. They were still in the parking lot when I went back out. The buyer was finally talking and seemed happy to have the Studebaker. I loaned him my Leatherman so he could change out the tag. Turns out he lives about 20 miles from me. I had a good time. The seller and his wife had a good time. The buyer's daughter seemed to be enjoying the prank after the reveal. Not sure the about the buyer's level of appreciation tho.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I can see why the buyer wouldn't take it as "good fun" since you were all total strangers to him. He probably suspected he was being hussled. I wouldn't be surprised if he still feels it was still actually a hussling game to try to get more money from him.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
I would be pissed, if buyer, I did not drive out here to haggle or have a good joke.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
not to mention but guess i am, being a CCP carrier i would start to wonder if I am not being robbed and think about pulling. For my own safety.

Reactions: skjl47
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store