Oily substance on water surface (poly tank)

HumanBean

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2014
Toronto Ontario, Canada
I did regular maintenance on canister filter on my poly tank. Not the first time and fiter is an old filter. I am seeing an oily surface with vasline like stuff . which I manually skimmed twice . not too sure what it is.

Not from food because I feed massivore and tilapia and its vet eaten in 10 min.

This layer was not there before this maintenance. Just wondering what it is and is it harmfull to fish ?

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I get the same thing on my poly tank, and as fram said, its most likely from the tilapia. I feed my polys a good portion of it every day and I always have that film on the surface of the water.

Reactions: HumanBean

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
X3 oil in tilapia also fish oil is added to pellet foods. I had it on the surface in my tank also, I just aimed the return from my canister at the surface and it eventually went down the overflow.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
All food that contains marine proteins such as fish, including the vast majority of pellet feed, contains fatty acids and amino acids that can both contribute to surface scum.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Unless you have something that skims the surface, you will have scum. My tanks with overflows don't have it. Nothing you do will prevent it. You can buy surface extractors for some filters that will collect it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store