old live rock to start cycle?

Cheifwalnut

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2015
Schoharie New York
I've recently picked up someone else's 7.5 gallon setup. The guy said he took it down about a year ago. I'm going to assume the rock has been dry for that time. Would I be able to use old live rock to start the cycle. I'm assuming there will be a bunch of die off from it. I included the picture from his add on Craigslist, it's the only one I have of the rock.

00R0R_2gx4jbPbDK6_600x450.jpg

Username.

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2014
Virginia, US
Yes you can but I would cure the live rock instead in a five gallon bucket. There are tons of examples online. Just search "how to cure live rock/ dry rock".

Oxymus

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2013
Freehold
There is no "living things" in old dry rocks...it's just a dry rock! So you will have to start your tank cycle from start. You can buy a "true live rock" and start cycle your tank with that.
Notes:
Don't go to any LFS and buy their so called "live rock" because it's nothing live in there after month sitting in a tank that run by a filter just to move move water around...you're paying for dead wet premium rock.

Username.

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2014
Virginia, US
I don't believe in bio-spira and similar products but you can try that, or seed it with a small price of live rock once your dry rock has been cured.

fishfanatic80

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2011
Long island
There is no "living things" in old dry rocks...it's just a dry rock! So you will have to start your tank cycle from start. You can buy a "true live rock" and start cycle your tank with that.
Notes:
Don't go to any LFS and buy their so called "live rock" because it's nothing live in there after month sitting in a tank that run by a filter just to move move water around...you're paying for dead wet premium rock.
Like stated there's nothing live in that rock it's not gonna help you cycle, if I were you I'd check your local reef forum for people selling rock. Unfortunately as oxymus stated the rock in lfs now is garbage. Everything is either painted rock or dead rock. Your best bet for rock is getting it from a fellow hobbyist or bulk reef supply or another site that ships it right from the ocean where they fill orders as they come. If your want to keep the rock you have already you can use an auto cycler a lot of people don't like them but I've never had any problems with them.

fishfanatic80

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2011
Long island
If you do get rock from an online seller be prepared though to cycle it for a month before adding fish as there will be a lot of die off, forgot to mention that. If you get from a fellow reefer it's already cured

Cheifwalnut

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2015
Schoharie New York
Unfortunately for you guys. This did cycle my tank. I'm sitting at 0 ammonia 0 nitrites and 20 nitrates. I didn't add anything to the tank but the "live" sand from petco. Only took about 2.5 weeks too. So I'm all set.

fishfanatic80

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2011
Long island
Unfortunately for you guys. This did cycle my tank. I'm sitting at 0 ammonia 0 nitrites and 20 nitrates. I didn't add anything to the tank but the "live" sand from petco. Only took about 2.5 weeks too. So I'm all set.
I don't know why it's unfortunate for us that your tank has cycled, we want to see it excel. You didn't mention in your thread that you were using live sand as the substrate but regardless I think you should be prepared for a spike after you add the fish. That live sand definitely helps cycle the tank but it's not loaded with the bacteria that breakdown the nutrients. You might need to monitor the levels closely as a precautionary measure hopefully all goes well. Update us after you've started stocking your tank

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Did you mix your own water? Tap water or RO? If you mixed your water with your tap water then your water already have Nitrate in it (20ppm~40ppm is normal mostly in west coast US).
If you bought the water from LFS then there is change they are used tap water and mixed it up in big holder tank then sell it off to customer...you facing the same problem like you mix your own saltwater.
Also, why's Unfortunately for us? You asking question and we giving out advises. However, you can choose to follow or ignore, we try to help base on your information provided.
Note:
Do you sure "live sand" is alive after that bag sat on Petco shelf for weeks, months or even year, i doubt anything living in that bag without Oxygen for that long and your "brand new setup" don't even have any "food" to feed the so called "live sand".

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store