OMG FINALLY!!!

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
What size tank? Any idea how many loaches I can put in a 29g? Its actually taller, but the footprint is the same.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Tainted Glory said:
What size tank? Any idea how many loaches I can put in a 29g? Its actually taller, but the footprint is the same.
Full grown? one and it will be crowded. Start with 3"ers and four five can be kept for a couple years.

rayman45

Team Rayman
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
staten island new york
my petland has clown loaches
they just got six at 4-5 inches with tail
12 each i think

Cohazard

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
guppy said:
Full grown? one and it will be crowded. Start with 3"ers and four five can be kept for a couple years.

What???? lol. Too many people over-estimate how slow clowns grow. I bought some 2" clowns in March, and now, 4 months later, they're almost 4 inches.

That's slow growth compared to an oscar, but you CAN'T keep them in a 29g for "a couple of years." That's just crazy.

Give them a 100g+ tank, a quality diet, and fresh clean water, and you'll be surprised how quickly they grow. Like I said before, slower than an oscar, but not that slow.

Deathcurl

BOO!!!
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2005
NYC
M|L said:
lol good to hear Eric. :)

btw, the reptile show was great, I actually hanged out with Jon until the show was over lol. :p

Yah, he told me...Glad you had fun.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Cohazard said:
What???? lol. Too many people over-estimate how slow clowns grow. I bought some 2" clowns in March, and now, 4 months later, they're almost 4 inches.

That's slow growth compared to an oscar, but you CAN'T keep them in a 29g for "a couple of years." That's just crazy.

Give them a 100g+ tank, a quality diet, and fresh clean water, and you'll be surprised how quickly they grow. Like I said before, slower than an oscar, but not that slow.
I kept five in a 55g community tank for 2 years, they went from 2"- 5" and were fine, fat, and colorful. They do fairly well in smallish tank but can shake up thier tank mates when zipping around. Stressed out my glass cats so much I got rid of them (the cats).

Cohazard

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
guppy said:
I kept five in a 55g community tank for 2 years, they went from 2"- 5" and were fine, fat, and colorful. They do fairly well in smallish tank but can shake up thier tank mates when zipping around. Stressed out my glass cats so much I got rid of them (the cats).

If by smallish, you mean a 55, I agree. They'll be alright in a 55 for quite some time.

But in the above post, TaintedGlory was talking about a 29g. Any serious clown loach owner would never keep them in a 29g. Maybe not even for grow-out. They need a lot of space to grow. That's because, as you know, clowns are very active swimmers, that swim all over the tank.

Just because a fish is active, fat, and colorful, doesn't mean that it has ample room to grow. I've seen a beautiful, active, well fed Queen angelfish at a petstore in a tank that was too small for it to live in. But if it were kept in there for too long, it would get stunted and not grow much at all if any. It looked great, but it was only in there for a week or two.

Get what I'm saying?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store