? On my SA cichlid

ZachLL

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
North Carolina
Hi everyone! I'm new to SA cichlids but I have been a fish keeper of community fish for years. I recently started and cycled my new 90 gal and wanted a large growing cichlid to be a one and only in the tank. I found a local non-chain petstore that had a decent selection of larger SA stock. I purchased a "golden flowerhorn", however I think this was not an accurate ID on what he/she truly is even tho it is a younger fish at about 4in in length. Wanted some opinions on if this fish is indeed a young "flowerhorn" or what I see as being a midas hybrid. The black spottings or what they said were "flowers" are what throw me off, cause I didn't see alot of midas pictures online with these spots but I assume maybe they will fade with time or maybe my assumption is wrong on being a midas hybrid. Thanks for your help and excited to lean your thoughts/opinions. Sorry to be one of those "please ID my fish" question asker with horrible pics of their fish! The forum wouldn't allow me to upload my video.

20150610_120613-1.jpg

20150610_112627.jpg

20150606_171031.jpg

20150610_120638.jpg

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
It could be anything lol. My lfs gets "golden flower horns" too. They look very similar to what you have here.

Reactions: ZachLL

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
Your LFS orders them from a wholesaler list, so LFS all over the country probably call them the same thing because they all order from a small handful of wholesalers. Most LFS do not go out of their way to try and ID fish. They place orders and label them as what they bought them as.

Reactions: ZachLL

ZachLL

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
North Carolina
Your LFS orders them from a wholesaler list, so LFS all over the country probably call them the same thing because they all order from a small handful of wholesalers. Most LFS do not go out of their way to try and ID fish. They place orders and label them as what they bought them as.
Agreed! I think this one was a fish someone turned in, it was the only one in a tank to itself and larger than the stocked tanks they had with large groups of small fish which is what made me wonder about what mine actually may be, if there is any telling. They had quite a few very large stock that was housed in their own tanks, really a decent store. I just hope mine stays healthy and grows to a good size! Hoping for a male but after researching online I THINK i have a female.

ZachLL

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
North Carolina
Well I found out it is a female, she laid a batch of eggs today. Only male I have in the tank is a electric blue Acara..... don't figure that can happen so I guess she will end up eating the eggs. Posting some pics of her, she has grown significantly since I've had her and been feeding her well. Also aquired a breeding pair of blue flowerhorns for my 110 gal that I am super excited about! Hopefully the male is fertile and I can get some nice fry from them!

20150630_144813.jpg

20150626_111910.jpg

20150626_185957.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store