On Paradise fish and other Anabantodoid fish (gourami, betta, paradise fish, etc)

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Screenshot 2023-10-19 at 4.00.06 PM.png
I saw this paper and thought it would be of interest to some of you.
While it focuses on the Labyrinth organ in these fish, it includes a lot of interesting historical, physiological, ecological and behavioral information about these super-interesting fishes and the evolutionary and ecologically significance of the Labyrinthoid Organ.
Enjoy it or ignore it, I wanted to share it here.
Just published in
Journal of Experimental Zoology Part B: Molecular and Developmental Evolution

The complete (open access) paper can be read or dowloaded from here (copy & paste link)- DOI: 10.1002/jez.b.23223

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Macropodus are a favourite of mine, although I haven't kept them for many years. Super-interesting fish indeed. I will keep and breed them again soon. I am attracted to...among other things...their history as one of the first "tropical" fish kept by hobbyists.

I gotta admit that article was a bit of a slog in most places. I like these fish despite it, not because of it. :)

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
Paradise fish is the first aquarium fish, and is hardy enough to be kept in unheated tank. Their geographic distribution is amazingly broad, ranging from China, Korea, to southeast Asia. I kept one in an unheated bowl for years similar to betta, and no wonder it is AKA Chinese betta. In fact, it is so close to betta that I've seen in youtube a male Paradise fish embraced a female betta and laid eggs (I doubt the eggs were fertile).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store