One proven way to treat ich/ick

Weekend_Warrior

Feeder Fish
Feb 2, 2014
Marion, AR
Hi All!
I'm new to this forum and just 'rescued' a 30 gallon from someone who was moving across country and was going to leave the tank and the fish. The tank has been set up for about a month and has 4 corys, a dojo loach, and 2 angelfish. I noticed this morning the angelfish have Ich and I am going to start the salt/heat treatment today. I'm on my way to get a new heater as the one she had on the tank does not get the temp above 75 degrees.

Any precautions I should take for the dojo and corys???

Weekend_Warrior

Feeder Fish
Feb 2, 2014
Marion, AR
So far I'm 48 hours into the salt/heat treatment. Everyone seems to be handling the treatment ok. Of course they all seem to be a bit more active and my angels appear to more aggressive but I guess that's to be expected at the higher temps.

fishnerd64

Feeder Fish
Feb 22, 2014
Wisconsin
Hello, when treating ich with heat and salt, how often do you do water changes? I'm sure you don't just continue to add salt daily. I also have a panda garra garra loach and spotted cory, I've read that salt can harm them. Thanks for any help!

Weekend_Warrior

Feeder Fish
Feb 2, 2014
Marion, AR
I kept my weekly water changes. One water change was just before the addition of the salt and the second a week later (add back salt water for the volume removed). I'm on day 9 of the treatment at 85 degrees with 2 teaspoons/gallon. I have a dojo loach and several cory cats. They are all still hanging with me. I added an air stone for the dojo since his temp is usually cooler. He doesn't seem stressed at all.

Good Luck.

mattyice572

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2015
New Jersey
I agree this method works well, but the best thing you can do is prevent disease, its easier to prevent disease than to treat it. I highly reccomend dosing foods daily with vitamin supplements, garlic supplements, and hufas. If you can build up the fishes immune system it may not get sick in the first place. Also be sure to keep up with aquarium maintenance. Small frequent water changes goes a long way as well as chaotic water flow and a good size air stone

BrookKeeper

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2015
Shenandoah Valley, VA
I started using Kordon IchAttack a long time ago, and it worked really well several times and on several species of tropical community fish. Recently, my 6" oscar got ich, and I grabbed the IchAttack out of the closet. After a week and a half of treatment, the fish was in grave condition, and I was ready to say goodbye... then I remembered having heard the salt and heat method, looked it up on MFK, and switched methods... Dumped the full load all at once in a 5 gallon water change (90 gallon setup), and he was ate within hours for the first time since I noticed he was sick. I didn't think he would come back from the condition he was in, but he is fat and happy again and has never been more active!

Reactions: convict360

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I started using Kordon IchAttack a long time ago, and it worked really well several times and on several species of tropical community fish. Recently, my 6" oscar got ich, and I grabbed the IchAttack out of the closet. After a week and a half of treatment, the fish was in grave condition, and I was ready to say goodbye... then I remembered having heard the salt and heat method, looked it up on MFK, and switched methods... Dumped the full load all at once in a 5 gallon water change (90 gallon setup), and he was ate within hours for the first time since I noticed he was sick. I didn't think he would come back from the condition he was in, but he is fat and happy again and has never been more active!
I'm currently battling ich in my oscar tank, raised temps to 29 degrees, and ran out of salt before I could do 2 tablespoons per gallon; fingers crossed! :(

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I find unless the salinity is 3ppt (parts per thousand) or higher, ich is not completely eliminated.
So I add rock salt (or any salt) by the handful until that salinity level is reached.
I post this because some think it is necessary to add "aquarium salt" which I consider BS.
Salt that is NaCl is salt.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Can
I find unless the salinity is 3ppt (parts per thousand) or higher, ich is not completely eliminated.
So I add rock salt (or any salt) by the handful until that salinity level is reached.
I post this because some think it is necessary to add "aquarium salt" which I consider BS.
Salt that is NaCl is salt.
Does anyone know how quickly a fish that is put in a tank with white spot, can show white spots?

Slightly concerned about some of mine

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store