OOPS!!! Not Fish. Just Dinosaur Eggs.

Juxtaroberto

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2009
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Arachnar;814558; said:
cool ,i've always loved dinosaurs but the theories are tedious and varied at best. it seems they could fit in a category of their own as neither herp or mammal
Ophiuchus;814692; said:
I agree. Dinosaurs are neither reptile, nor bird nor mammal; they're dinosaurs. Their anatomy and physiology are fundamentally different than all of the above.

I love dinos, too and could talk about them all day.
Perhaps in Linnaean classification, but the problem with Linnaean classification is that it sometimes arbitrarily defines classes and families, etc, and makes them paraphyletic. In Linnaean classification the class Reptilia is defined as being exothermic, which excludes many things we know to be reptiles which were no longer exothermic, such as dinosaurs and birds.

With (new and improved) phylogenetic classification, cladograms are arranged in a nested heirarchy and it is understood that nothing can really evolve out of its ancestry. After all, we're all still eukaryotes, deuterostomes, chordates, vertebrates, etc. It's a bit confusing sometimes, especially since snakes are still within Tetrapoda, but it works out nicely.

Since the order Dinosauria evolved within the clade of Reptilia, dinosaurs are still reptiles. Since the class Aves evolved within Dinosauria, birds are dinosaurs. Which means they're also reptiles, and amniotes, etc.

Arachnar;816548; said:
dinosaurs could live in my yard anytime if they were alive now,they're totally awesome,i found that the book Dinosaur which was based on a television special was very good in explaining them,though i gotta find more books that deal with more detail about dinosaur behavior and anatomy-nice ball python always wanted one=)
Birds. ;)

Piscine

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2010
Northwestern Louisiana
Oddball;531077; said:
As far as I know, there have only been 2 incomplete T-Rex eggs ever identified. IF I had one, I'd probably have it confiscated as a national treasure.
And Dave Chappelle has (had) both of them!

[YT]jFJoWB-_UPU[/YT]

ruskere

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2011
West Virginia
Oddball;1960291; said:
You're correct. They're from the early jurassic.

As for movie dinosaur size. The director wanted the predators to be larger so they're present better on film. When the 1st movie was filming, velociraptors were only known to be half the movie depiction's size. Shortly after Robert Bakker left the production as a consultant, a friend of his discovered Utahraptor wyomingensis which matched the size of the raptors in the movie.
*ostrommaysorum , not 'wyomingensis'. Utahraptor is from 124 ma deposits in the Cedar Mountain Formation of Utah (hence Utahraptor- see Kirkland et al. 1993). I can guarantee there is not a species existing within the literature named "U. wyomingensis"... I have collected nearly the entire breadth of the existing peer-reviewed literature concerning dinosaurs (excluding the lit on modern birds of course, though I have most, if not all, published papers on fossil Mesozoic birds) in PDF form through the careful efforts of myself (and a handful of other dedicated people around the globe) in scanning in papers from both the original journals and from the photocopied versions of these papers existing in the personal archives of many paleos.. All in all, our combined paleo paper library is around 100 GB with a great many papers still to add to it from outside of dinosaur research (I am actively seeking and adding as many papers as I can find about very early fossil reptiles and fossil crocodiles.. both areas of my personal research...).

Kirkland, J.I.; Burge, D.; Gaston, R. (1993). "A large dromaeosaur (Theropoda) from the Lower Cretaceous of Utah". Hunteria 2 (10): 1–16.

How did you collect these fossil eggs and eggshells? I am particularly curious regarding cases like the ones from South America and China.............. particularly a Segnosaurus from the Jurassic of China? Interesting... ?

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Fascinating thread. I read every post and very much enjoyed it.

Phil, have you ever had a chance to examine any phorusrhacid material?

Kaia

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2015
NW Washington
wow super cool!!!! I am bringing this back up at home for my son to see! Thanks!!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store