Orange Xingu 1 or 2?

the big kahuna

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2007
new york city
About 7-8" cell phone pic with no color enhancing. Trying to figure out exactly what he is.

20220206_205342.jpg

20220206_205340.jpg

20220206_205252.jpg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I’d say xingu 1.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Thanks. Would he coexist with a zebrina with little to no issues?
Not sure. Always a risk when mixing pikes. Maybe Rocksor Rocksor can give more info.

Reactions: the big kahuna

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Thanks. Would he coexist with a zebrina with little to no issues?
Highly doubtful that a Xingu 1 and Zebrina will coexist long term. You can try. If you wan't to increase your chances, there has to be enough high flow that the pikes are constantly swimming against a current for most of the waking day. You also need about as many as 3-4 times the amount of hides for each pike. But, lots of bad things can happen when lights have turned off. If I remember correctly, Vin Kutty (way more of a pike expert than me since he's studied and observed pikes in the wild) had stated that Xingu 1 were more nocturnal in nature.

the big kahuna

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2007
new york city
Highly doubtful that a Xingu 1 and Zebrina will coexist long term. You can try. If you wan't to increase your chances, there has to be enough high flow that the pikes are constantly swimming against a current for most of the waking day. You also need about as many as 3-4 times the amount of hides for each pike. But, lots of bad things can happen when lights have turned off. If I remember correctly, Vin Kutty (way more of a pike expert than me since he's studied and observed pikes in the wild) had stated that Xingu 1 were more nocturnal in nature.

Thanks for the responses. Its a 300 gallon lots of rocks and driftwood being added as soon as I can get outside and pressure wash them off. I was hoping to find a zebrina same size and let them grow out together. I also have 2 more orange xingu on the way.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Thanks for the responses. Its a 300 gallon lots of rocks and driftwood being added as soon as I can get outside and pressure wash them off. I was hoping to find a zebrina same size and let them grow out together. I also have 2 more orange xingu on the way.
Growing out together doesn't matter too much. Juvenile pikes hang out to increase their survival against predators. When they become adults they spread out away from other pikes due to competition.

You need more flow in the tank so that all fish are constantly swimming against a current, with only the hides as a relief from the current.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store