Oreochromis mossambicus

straitjacketstar

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
www.instagram.com
Common food-farmed Oreochromines get a bad rap. I propose to overlook their invasive status and appreciate their amazing adaptive abilities and appreciate them for what they are. Sexy.
I don't know why I got so excited when I first saw one in person. I knew their status as an invasive species all over the world but I suppose the black and white and silvery green duds and fleshy lips won me over. Since then I've managed to always have some. I've since considered rose-breasted & red-eyed O. niloticus and the amazingly colorful O. tanganicae but I've never felt the need-to-have urge to keep them as I have O. mossambicus. They, among other hobby staples like kribs and cons, will always be among my favorite cichlids.
This is my current 7" male.

He is involved in a love/hate relationship with this thing. A fellow invasive species, Dormitator maculatus.

They're never too far apart. It's kinda cute watching them be so taken with one another one minute and then sick of eachother the next.

Thanks for looking! :D

mcdaphnia

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2009
Cleveland, Ohio
Nice fish! I had a trio of gold mossambiques in a 250 and liked them. Planning to keep a trio of the tanganicae out of the 20 fry I raised outside this summer.

straitjacketstar

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
www.instagram.com
mcdaphnia;3360286; said:
Nice fish! I had a trio of gold mossambiques in a 250 and liked them. Planning to keep a trio of the tanganicae out of the 20 fry I raised outside this summer.
I'd love some tanganyicae but they're hard to find. I'll have some one day. :)
I had some pink mozambiques and liked them a lot. Mine didn't seem to grow as fast as regular mozambiques though. :irked:

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
gorgeous fish, I grew out a niloticus that came in with feeders and it was a very amusing fish to have, full of personality

cornbread_5

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2007
connecticut
yeah alot of tilipia or west african species of fish get looked over i had alot of west africans , i have tilipia zilli , tilipia busmani and hemichromis elgontus

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store