Osphronemus goramy exodon laticlavius septemfasciatus

sagittalCrest

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2011
usa
Anybody bred or attempt to breed the Osphronemus genus?

I'm reading "they reach maturity and are able to breed at about 6 months of age, at a length of about 4 3/4 inches (12 cm)." ( http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/anabantoids/GiantGourami.php http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/anabantoids/GiantRedTailGourami.php )

Finding this hard to believe since they "can get as large as 2 1/3 feet (70 cm)." This would mean that they can breed when smaller than one-fifth fully grown size.

I've never bred them but have bred many Anabantoids. Gourami one-fith fully grown size are considered still juveniles and in most cases males and females are still indistinguishable from each other.

Would be nice though, if they could be bred at such young an age and small a size. Could make them more manageable, and lead to smaller quantities of fry as well.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The Osphronemus are barely out of diapers at 4", mine started showing interest in spawning at about 2 feet, and needed to be moved to a 300 gal rubbermaid to feel comfortable, but in truth, I think you would need a large pond to actually get them going.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
The Osphronemus are barely out of diapers at 4", mine started showing interest in spawning at about 2 feet, and needed to be moved to a 300 gal rubbermaid to feel comfortable, but in truth, I think you would need a large pond to actually get them going.
Is there ANYTHING you haven't owned?

Reactions: CrazyPhishMan

sagittalCrest

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2011
usa
Osphronemus are Anabantoids, the largest. For the record I've yet to keep any. But I have kept, bred, and/or raised species in 14 out of the 19 genera. The last 5 of the following list are genera I haven't kept:

Genus Belontia
Genus Betta
Genus Macropodus
Genus Malpulutta
Genus Parosphromenus
Genus Pseudosphromenus
Genus Trichopsis
Genus Sphaerichthys
Genus Trichogaster
Genus Trichopodus
Genus Helostoma
Genus Anabas
Genus Ctenopoma
Genus Microctenopoma

Genus Sandelia
Genus Ctenops
Genus Luciocephalus
Genus Parasphaerichthys
Genus Osphronemus

Over the last 40 years of breeding them I've learned a thing or two that I haven't read in books, magazines, or, relatively recently, on this thing called Internet.

One thing I learned is that there seems to be a certain time frame in which the fish need to breed, and if breeding does not occur within that time frame then it never will - they've passed the point of no return. This is not to be confused with old age.

For example, a Betta splendens that has been breeding since the age of 0.5 years can continue to breed, under optimal conditions, thru the age of 1.5 years. But a 1.5 year old B. splendens that has never been bred is done, it ain't gonna happen.

While I disagree with the quotes that I pasted at the start of this thread, I also disagree that Osphronemus are barely out of diapers at 4". Several sites state 5" - 6" as a breed-able size, and from my experience with other Gourami I suspect this is the optimal size at which to begin breeding.

A 24" Goramy that hasn't yet procreated is done, it ain't gonna happen. I'd bet my last centavo on it.

I've bred 6" Trichopodus pectoralis in 40 gallon tanks. And someday, God willing, I'll do the same with 6" Osphronemus laticlavius. Tank size is secondary, tank arrangement is more important. A 300 gal rubbermaid without lines of sight broken up and without hiding areas containing surface access (floating caves) is useless. You'll have a dead female by daybreak.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store