Ovarian prolapse / parrot Cichlid

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
IME a typical egg bound female will either reabsorb the eggs over time, or die from internal complications. This particular prolapse is something that I haven't personally experienced, but I would not continue Metro treatment, honestly that isn't something that I would have used at all, although oral injections would be readily absorbed compared to simply adding to tank water. I would continue with Epsom salt baths, and watch for infection, then if need be treat with Kanaplex or a similar antibiotic that is readily absorbed via gills and skin. In hard water I have found Kanamycin (Kanaplex) to be very effective with internal organ type infections. (kidney etc) With any luck she will reabsorb with time.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Dave Sokacz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2016
IME a typical egg bound female will either reabsorb the eggs over time, or die from internal complications. This particular prolapse is something that I haven't personally experienced, but I would not continue Metro treatment, honestly that isn't something that I would have used at all, although oral injections would be readily absorbed compared to simply adding to tank water. I would continue with Epsom salt baths, and watch for infection, then if need be treat with Kanaplex or a similar antibiotic that is readily absorbed via gills and skin. In hard water I have found Kanamycin (Kanaplex) to be very effective with internal organ type infections. (kidney etc) With any luck she will reabsorb with time.

Good luck.
Thanks so much! Should I do the oral injections with the kanaplex? If so, how much and how frequent?
-dave

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
I would continue with the salt. Ideally it should be surgically removed or replaced. That being said the ability of fish to heal is quite amazing. I would keep her separate from other fish so they can't pick on it and see if she ends up "reabsorbing it" or it strangulates and falls off, which would be fine too

Reactions: Dave Sokacz

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Epsom for the win. I followed RD's advice and saved a female flowerhorn with a BAD prolapse. A little more severe than this. I treated the tank with Epsom, and fed Epsom soaked pellets and it retracted. Couldn't believe it, thought she was a goner for sure.

I now feed every new fish Epsom soaked pellets. Because it is so safe and works great for hex and IP's, and the occasional prolapse.

Cheers and good luck

tanyaelec11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2012
canada
I had a fish do this a few times and I had to use Epsom salt . She did this a few times and now it seems that she cannot lay eggs anymore. It happens in real life and fish life in general. I would keep on treating your fish with Epsom salts and throw that melafix away its just a money gimic !

Dave Sokacz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2016
Hey folks...
Well, amazingly enough, my rudimentary surgery worked! She now has only the tiniest bulge; not really noticeable unless you knew about it. I continued the epsom dips and metronidazole QT tank with oral injections for
A week, then returned her to the home tank.
The area seems to have healed nicely! She's eating and acting normally. I guess time will tell if it will happen again. Thanks for all your input!
Very much appreciated!
-dave

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
Hey folks...
Well, amazingly enough, my rudimentary surgery worked! She now has only the tiniest bulge; not really noticeable unless you knew about it. I continued the epsom dips and metronidazole QT tank with oral injections for
The area seems to have healed nicely! She's eating and acting normally. I guess time will tell if it will happen again. Thanks for all your input!
Very much appreciated!
-dave
what you do?

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Hey folks...
Very much appreciated!
-dave
Great result, well in mate :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store