Overflow box return line questions.

Wiksta

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2015
I'm new to sumps. Just purchased a 180 gallon drilled with center overflow to replace my 180 with 3 canisters. It has 2 return lines. The previous owner let the water overflow all the way to the bottom of the box and drain out. I have read that running pvc pipe from the bottom to about 2 inches under the water line would cause the box to fill and thus the overflow water would only fall a couple inches and be less loud. I have seen where they use a T fitting on the end and also an elbow that ends up being fully submerged.

My question is what is the difference or advantage of each? Also any other general sump set up ideas would be great!

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The pics help in understanding your question.
Yes you could put standpipes in the box, and it may quiet the noise a bit, make one a little shorter than the other, to prevent overflow if one gets plugged.
I have put caps over my standpipes to help reduce noise.
I put a strainer on first, then balance a PVC cap on top of the strainer

The strainers need to be checked regularly and cleared of debris.

Reactions: Wiksta

Wiksta

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2015
Thanks for the reply, that's a good idea! I have also seen where they use a elbow fitting on the end of the standpipe and the opening ends up being fully submerged in the water. Would that be even more quiet? Would that working properly depend on the flow rate?

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
I run elbows on mine. You have to make a U shape or find a one piece. I don't know the proper name. this keeps it much quieter

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store