Overflow help for 450 gallons

Torchia32

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
California
Hey guys I'm setting up a 450 gallon roughly 10x3x2 and am going to be running a Laguna 2900 return pump. I'm am having trouble deciding how many overflows and what size pipe to use. I was thinking 2 overflows at 2 inches each with 1 return at 2 inches? Or should I go 1 inch? Or should I go 3 overflows at 1 inch? Any help would be appreciated thanks

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I believe the overflow pipes should always be at least double the return, so if it were me I'd do 2" overflows. Much harder to plug up than 1".

That said, I like a couple the 1/2" returns because they concentrate flow providing a more robust surface agitation.

Torchia32

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
California
I believe the overflow pipes should always be at least double the return, so if it were me I'd do 2" overflows. Much harder to plug up than 1".

That said, I like a couple the 1/2" returns because they concentrate flow providing a more robust surface agitation.
Are you suggesting 2 overflows at 2" each and 2 returns At 1/2" each?

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
I have two 1.5 inch drains with two 1 inch returns. They are each behind a corner weir and I use durso standpipes. I have no trouble with keeping up with the pumps. I run two. Remember doubling the diameter quadruples the volume if I remember my math correctly.

Torchia32

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
California
I have two 1.5 inch drains with two 1 inch returns. They are each behind a corner weir and I use durso standpipes. I have no trouble with keeping up with the pumps. I run two. Remember doubling the diameter quadruples the volume if I remember my math correctly.
What size tank are you running this setup on. So basically you have 3 inches of overflows and 2 inches of returns? Works pretty well though huh? Nice

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I do like double overflows, and double returns for the safety/redundancy factor.
Not so much for 2" overflows, but because I use 1/2" return lines.
All it takes is for 1 smalk snail to get caught in a bend, or on a lip of a valve, where debris catches, a dam forms, and causes enough backup to slow flow.
I find I need to exercise my 1/2" valves frequently to dislodge detritus buildup, and also keep coat hangers and long handle brushes at hand.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I have a540 gallon with dual max-flo 2400's. I run 4 2 inch drains and 2 1.5 inch returns. It's a Herbie overflow setup, so 2 of the 2 inch drains are dry emergency drains.

So each overflow has 3 bulkheads--2 2 inch drains and 1 1.5 inch return.

Torchia32

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
California
I have a540 gallon with dual max-flo 2400's. I run 4 2 inch drains and 2 1.5 inch returns. It's a Herbie overflow setup, so 2 of the 2 inch drains are dry emergency drains.

So each overflow has 3 bulkheads--2 2 inch drains and 1 1.5 inch return.
Thanks for the info wow you are really turning that tank over. Do you think one Laguna 2900 will be enough for my 450? I. Figured it would comfortably turn it over 6x per hour

Torchia32

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
California
I decided to go with 2 drains at 2" each and 2 returns at 1.5" each. I will have 1 drain and one return in each of the corners in the rear of the tank. My question now is regarding to the drain pipes themselves. Would I still go with the setup of having one of the drain standpipes the level I want the water at and the other at slightly below that with a ball valve installed? Or would I have them both at water level or both below? Could someone clarify this for me? Thanks

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
What size tank are you running this setup on. So basically you have 3 inches of overflows and 2 inches of returns? Works pretty well though huh? Nice
I have a 450 I run a Laguna 2400 and a Rio that I think is 1600. I probably flow half their max rate with head loss and side bleed off lines. They turn the surface along with 4 giant airstones and I have 4 power heads pointed at the bottom to move solids up and out the overflows

You should check out cajun's tank, really nice

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store