ox liver vs ckickets and roaches for giant fish.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
My Giant gourami use to eat Hikari pallets to get protein in. About a month ago she stopped eating any pallets. She is currently 24inch big.

She need to get her to eat some proteins, how good is it to feed her some ox liver? Or must I rather feed her crickets, roaches and life insects.
If you are absolutely sure that the tank is healthy, the water is pristine, no tank mate issues, etc., in other words you have truly done your diligence to dig at a possible cause, a month is something not to worry about. There surely must be a cause but it may not be possible to find out, especially for a hobbyist.

You appear to be too concerned about its growth and protein intake. I'd not be. There is no need to. You are offering a tremendous, very nice, diverse diet. I'd let the fish choose what it wants out of what's offered and observe closely, is all.

BTW GGs appear quite intelligent IME. It may be trying to impose its will on you or it simply got bored :)

Reactions: boldtogether

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Most true gouramis become more and more vegetarian as they age, Once mine hit 16+" they lived on low protein pellets, romaine lettuce, and peas. I believe the peas provide all the protein needed.
Ox liver, and mammalian meat is highly UN-digestable for even the most protein requiring fish.
I was unaware of this, interesting!

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Most true gouramis become more and more vegetarian as they age, Once mine hit 16+" they lived on low protein pellets, romaine lettuce, and peas. I believe the peas provide all the protein needed.
Ox liver, and mammalian meat is highly UN-digestable for even the most protein requiring fish.
This. It's common in a lot of animals, outside of fish too; for example bearded dragons eat more veg and less crickets (protein) with age.

Reactions: ehh

Vlekkie

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2013
Roodepoort
My GG is a real attention shark. She love life food like crickets and roaches.

I didn't know that GG eats less prorein as they become older.

The GG is happy in the tank and she is the boss in the tank. She stay with 4 oscars in the tank but she don't mind them. She always protect the lemon oscar and the albino tiger oscar

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Although I had seen photos of them before, my first encounter with Osphronemus goramy was as a soldier in Viet Nam. They seemed to be one of the most popular items in everyones lunch. And in the fish markets, you could find baskets of 4" young goramy's all the way up to large adults of 3ft (among the other Asian species like the barbs, kissing gouramis and combtails I had kept in my tanks as a kid).
I believe the true goramy's were farmed for more reasons than their culinary value though.
As juvie they were great for mosquito, and other insect control, their tiny upturned mouth suggests a surface feeder. But then as adults, they were great at controlling overgrown aquatic, and overhanging terrestrial vegetation, everything form milfoil to water lilies could be cleared from ponds, and then after performing the weeding tasks, the large fish would become quite the feast.

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Here's is an article from a GG blog on the subject....

My Giant Gourami Is Not Eating, What to do?

Good question,

Some owners sometimes encounter this problem, and in this post I'm going to clear things up for you.

1st of all, why did this condition alarm you, well its simply because usually your Giant Gourami would devour and eat like a crazy hungry fish and when suddenly he stops eating......of course you're worried.

The first thing to do is check the water quality, although the Giant Gourami is an EXTREMELY HARDY FISH...if the water is close to toxic muck....don't expect your Giant to thrive in there.
  1. Recall when you last made a water change, was is long time ago?...if yes change 50% of the water and replace with de-chlorinated water (use the water conditioner/de-chlorinator)
  2. If you recently made a water change and he's not feeding.....then check whether you added de-chlorinator...if not quick and add the de-chlorinator!
  3. If you think nothing is wrong with the water then, this is what this article is about....continue reading....
Ok, if you are absolutely sure that the water is absolutely ok, then this must be nature's course in action.

In the wild, during the monsoon season water levels in rivers and lakes rise and many vegetation drown and feeder fish/shrimp disperse in a larger than usual body of water, sometimes carried away in the monsoon flood. What happens is, the Giant Gourami fails to get food and through the period remains alive without food. This natural phenomena although cruel has a good effect, it gives time for the Giant Gourami (and other fish) to rest their intestine and stomach (gastrointestinal system). They will defecate as the final remaining food is digested and eventually remain without any food at all. This gives time for its intestine to heal and grow and prepare for when food is available - in the aquarium the Giant might take small bites but never finish the portion you give.

When the monsoon is over and water levels return to normal and the now well fertilized soil(due to rotted matter) allows vegetation to bloom, food supply increases exponentially for the Giant.

The Giant Gourami will then resume its heavy eating diet and starts to put on body mass.

In the aquarium or pond setting(I don't like to use the word "captivity")...this natural phenomena does not occur and the biological drive of the Giant will cause it to stop eating at any time(not according to the monsoon season which usually takes place between early October to the end of December) for the benefit of its intestine and stomach.

So what do you do?

Simple, don't feed your Giant. Leave it for 7 days at least(you can go up to a month but you will notice your Giant losing body mass, so 7 days is better)...feed nothing he will beg for food just ignore, if you at anytime break this 7 day period of "fasting" his intestines will not have healed and he will restart "fasting" any another period of time and you'll have to do it all over, don't feed him for 7 days.

If you have other fish in your tank(read my other post on how to trick the Giant into accepting tank mates), they can enjoy the benefit of healed intestine, boosted immunity, and increased activity after the 7 days. So bottom line, when your Giant goes into the "monsoon fasting phase"(although its not exactly monsoon in your aquarium or pond) stop feeding all your fish for 7 days. Resume feeding on the 8th day.

You can use this time to clean the tank, resupply food stock and just watch your Giant interacting with other mates in the aquarium.

I hope I've answered your question, I included solid proof from nature itself in the hopes that your Giant will live to its best.

All the best and WE LOVE GIANT GOURAMIS!!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store