ox liver vs ckickets and roaches for giant fish.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Most true gouramis become more and more vegetarian as they age, Once mine hit 16+" they lived on low protein pellets, romaine lettuce, and peas. I believe the peas provide all the protein needed.
Ox liver, and mammalian meat is highly UN-digestable for even the most protein requiring fish.
^
This, although I have a thing against feedng terrestrial based plant matter, such as peas, to fish. Omega makes a quality large veg based wafer, that consists of kelp, spirulina, along with some fish based protein. Plenty of quality protein for this species, along with plenty of aquatic based plant matter, which this fish should be consuming on a regular basis. 14mm in size
http://www.omegasea.net/products/nutrition/veggie-rounds

I bet that your G will snap them up like a fat kid eating M&M's.

Reactions: boldtogether

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
If you are absolutely sure that the tank is healthy, the water is pristine, no tank mate issues, etc., in other words you have truly done your diligence to dig at a possible cause, a month is something not to worry about. There surely must be a cause but it may not be possible to find out, especially for a hobbyist.

You appear to be too concerned about its growth and protein intake. I'd not be. There is no need to. You are offering a tremendous, very nice, diverse diet. I'd let the fish choose what it wants out of what's offered and observe closely, is all.

BTW GGs appear quite intelligent IME. It may be trying to impose its will on you or it simply got bored :)
Like a Jedi mind trick? Hahahaa!
Just kidding.
That is a beautiful fish.
If she is still eating, just not the pellet food, I would concentrate on making the food she does eat the most healthy...even add vitamin suppliments in moderation...
jus my opinion.

Vlekkie

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2013
Roodepoort
She eats like a monster, if it is called vegetables, she eat it up with no hassle. If it is pallets, she swim towards it, have a look, turn around and swim away. The only pallet based food she eats is Algae wafers.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Algae wafers are the perfect food for your G, if it eats those and veggies you are good to go. No need for 'extra' protein.

Vlekkie

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2013
Roodepoort
I received about 200 roaches yesterday. The GG really enjoyed the roaches, the oscars also got roaches. The lemon oscar grabbed a roach just infront of the GGs mouth, the GG grabbed the oscar on it's bottom part of the body. The whole bottom body of the oscar was in the GG mouth.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store