Paddlefish anyone?

Moontanman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cape Fear, NC
blogs.scienceforums.net
I will give it a try I can get a lot of gambusia and see what happens. They seem to get more bold with food in the evening.
Actually they feed best after dark, in the dark they are "deadly" lol. I always fed mine at night, they would skim pellets off the surface much better at night. I always thought the surface feeding if for insects at night. A school of tiny fish will be rounded up at night as well.

Moontanman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cape Fear, NC
blogs.scienceforums.net
If you try to feel them small fish i would avoid gambusia, feeder guppies are a better choice, gambusia tend to be significantly larger and more aggressive. I've had gambusia kill small gar they were fed to.

• Wow
Reactions: tlindsey

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Update, please, Ski?

If you try to feel them small fish i would avoid gambusia, feeder guppies are a better choice, gambusia tend to be significantly larger and more aggressive. I've had gambusia kill small gar they were fed to.
What? It'd be nice if elaborated so we could swallow and digest properly. The gambusia must have been far bigger than the gar?

Moontanman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cape Fear, NC
blogs.scienceforums.net
Update, please, Ski?

What? It'd be nice if elaborated so we could swallow and digest properly. The gambusia must have been far bigger than the gar?
No the gar were about 3" long, the tank contained a large mixed population of gambusia from newborns to adults, gambusia are very aggressive. If gambusia got to 12" or so they would make some bodies of water dangerous to swim in :devil: In the wild gambusia consume a large number of other small fish to the point of being a threat to gamefish young. The guppies, while capable of eating their own young or other fishes young they are smaller as adults and nowhere near as aggressive.

• Love
Reactions: thebiggerthebetter
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store