Paratheraps Breeding

PhelansFish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2015
Hello. A little over a week ago i received 5 p. Zonatus from dan at coa and two have paired off. Now i was interstead originally in keeping 1 specimen but im now intrigued on breeding them but was wondering on average how long does it take for the fry to reach sellable size?
Thanks

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hello. A little over a week ago i received 5 p. Zonatus from dan at coa and two have paired off. Now i was interstead originally in keeping 1 specimen but im now intrigued on breeding them but was wondering on average how long does it take for the fry to reach sellable size?
Thanks
isde02 isde02
Frank Castle Frank Castle
Stanzzzz7 Stanzzzz7
duanes duanes

Reactions: Frank Castle

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Depends on what you mean by sellable size. If you mean taking a bunch of 1"- 1.5" fish to a LFS and getting 35cents each in credit (what my LFSs would usually provide) probably not too long.
But if you mean 3" good looking specimens, that could take a good 9 months, and would mean separating out sizes into many different tanks so the fry don't kill each other, or putting them all in a kiddy pool to grow out , with lot of water changes, and lots of food.
I especially like putting fry outside in the summer where they can get plenty of algae, daphnia, and other Iive food to graze on all day, then scoop them out at the end of summer when they.ve put on size.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
I grew out around 30 melanurum in a 220 gallon to a size of around 1 to 3 inch.From memory I would say it took about 2 months.
Some will grow quicker than others from the same spawn.

2013-12-30 06.52.14male veija and fry z.jpg

Frequency of water changed and feeding routine will have a big effect on growth rates.
As will the amount of fry reared and space provided.

Reactions: tlindsey

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
isde02 isde02 Frank Castle Frank Castle
Stanzzzz7 Stanzzzz7
duanes duanes
I just own 2 of 'em, I know pretty much nothing about breeding this particular species, but thnx for page :)

Depends on what you mean by sellable size. If you mean taking a bunch of 1"- 1.5" fish to a LFS and getting 35cents each in credit (what my LFSs would usually provide) probably not too long.
But if you mean 3" good looking specimens, that could take a good 9 months, and would mean separating out sizes into many different tanks so the fry don't kill each other, or putting them all in a kiddy pool to grow out , with lot of water changes, and lots of food.
I especially like putting fry outside in the summer where they can get plenty of algae, daphnia, and other Iive food to graze on all day, then scoop them out at the end of summer when they.ve put on size.

funny you mention that cuz we were just talking about Jewels and it reminded me of an experiement I did on a lone Jaguar fry in a large deep RUB to see how it would do eating wild insects and microfauna, so I put a few water hyacinth-like plants in the tub and he stayed in there feeding all summer. He tended to stay towards the bottom on the hotter days, so the extra depth must have kept it cooler down below - pretty much turned entirely nocturnal during the hottest months. I'm gonna try a baby pool and some Jewels this year :)
^Pretty much what he said
what he said he said

I grew out around 30 melanurum in a 220 gallon to a size of around 1 to 3 inch.From memory I would say it took about 2 months.
Some will grow quicker than others from the same spawn.

View attachment 1185168

Frequency of water changed and feeding routine will have a big effect on growth rates.
As will the amount of fry reared and space provided.
nothing else to add lol just wanted to emphasize how WCs increase growth/metabolism/something....whatever it is, it makes them bigger for any species I have bred, and twice a week 50-80% isn't such a bad idea. I had good results from it.

Reactions: isde02

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
What are your plans for the pair of zonatus, mine spawned twice then I had to pull the female out cus the male turned on her, took the fry about 2 month to hit a inch

PhelansFish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2015
Hey guys sorry fpr reviving an old thread but i now have 2 day old eggs. The mom was seperated next to 2 other zos. There are very few white eggs so i think they are fertile. I now have a few questions.
1. Should i leave the mom with the fry when if i get some or take her out? She is taking great care of the eggs.
2. Should i give the new born fry the whole 100?
3. Can i feed the fry nls fry starter?
Thanks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store