Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

1. Please double check and update your email --> http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details

Paratheraps fenestratus "Lago Catemaco"

Discussion in 'Central and South American Cichlids' started by flowerpower, Mar 12, 2011.

1. flowerpower

flowerpower MFK Members

Apr 5, 2015
      This is a wild pair of white fenestratus from Lake Catemaco, Mexico.
      [​IMG]
      I was given the male by David (Nemesis) and the female by Ira (The Wish List). Not a fish I ever sought out to keep but definitely one I'm glad I have. I've seen so many stunning offspring from these wild Catemacos that I am now determined to raise a spawn for myself. Hopefully they give me one soon.

2. flowerpower

flowerpower MFK Members

Apr 5, 2015
      A few more....
      [​IMG]
      DCT, who collected and imported these fish, splits them according to which part of the lake they were collected from. The original pair what David gave me were 'gold flake'(?). The female was gorgeous but unfortunately, I lost her. The female that replaced her was collected from a different part of the lake. In the picture above It's easy to see some differences between the 'white east shore' female and the male 'gold flake'. Apparently the two populations of fish are isolated from one another due to volcanic activity within the lake.Interesting to say the least but they're still 'Catemacos' to me.
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

3. seel1990

seel1990 MFK Members

Sep 14, 2014
      nice...

4. cavamart

cavamart Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
      Nice white Fenestratus. I'm guessing there are the white strain and pink (piebald) varieties in Lake Catemaco?

5. fishluvr12

fishluvr12 MFK Members

May 21, 2012
      Looking good!

6. flowerpower

flowerpower MFK Members

Apr 5, 2015
      Idk, I've seen so many different looking specimens. The piebald fenes I've seen for years, these appear to be consistently white based with red/ orange blotches- peppered in black at times. They get the same black throats as other fenes, bifas, zonatum do when spawning.
      I know some other people on here have (or had;)) some amazing specimens. Please, throw up some photos.

7. cavamart

cavamart Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
      I missed your caption on the second post. So I guess there are three varieties or collection points in the lake. I'm missing the gold flake trait in the pictures. I'm sure it shows better in person. Is the lighter fene the east shore white and gold flake the specimen with the orange marking on the head? Where do the gold flakes show? Fins, body all over?

8. Mad About Cichlids

Mad About Cichlids MFK Members

Nov 14, 2013
      Beautiful fishes.

How big are they? At what age and size do they start showing these colors?

9. flowerpower

flowerpower MFK Members

Apr 5, 2015
      I've looked long and hard for a gold flake on the 'goldflake' and I haven't found one yet. Still looking though. All I can say is that there is a slight difference in color between this female and the female from the original pair. The other one had much more color and, if I'm not mistaken, the same red stripe lining the dorsal as the male.
      I just don't get why one name indicates the shore from which the fish was caught white the other refers to a trait that is hardly, if at all, present on the fish. Kinda silly but oh well.

10. ira

ira MFK Members

May 2, 2012
      Here are some more pics of catemaco fenestratus.

Breeding pair white east shore
      [​IMG]

Sp Catemaco "White East Shore"
      [​IMG]

Sp Catemaco "White East Shore" Breeding Pair
      [​IMG]

Pie Bald Fenestratus
      [​IMG]
      Ed this is the pair that David got so its great to see that the male looking so good.

[​IMG]catemaco3

This wild caught pair is stunning they look so much better in person.

[​IMG]

female catemaco
      [​IMG]