Passive biological filtration only

Prehensile

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2015
Florida
I am planning to get back into freshwater after a long time with salt. I have a 150 with a Berlin style sump (filter socks only) which with salt had live rock in the system for biological filtration. No baffles, no bio in the sump. Only a skimmer

My question is this: has anyone had success with this type of setup in freshwater ( CA cichlids) using only something like some Marine Pure blocks in the sump for bio filtration? Obviously no skimming.

http://www.cermedia.com/marinepure-products.php

Seems similar to how my salt ran, but with the passive bio in the sump instead of the display as live rocks.

Thank you for any thoughts you may have.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I use only socks, and a few bags of lava rock, and or ceramic rings, no baffles in my sumps for fresh water. I also use protein skimming on fresh water, and it works beautifully.
The only other thing I add that you didn't mention, is I either plant part of the sump, or use overhead planted refugiums (marginal plants such as papyrus, and pothos, and freshwater shrimp and snails)

and here is what a protein skimmer produces for waste, on my freshwater Tilapia pool.

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
Although it would be much more effective if the water was forced through the media, passive filtration is fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store