Peacock Mantis Break glass?

RobD23

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2005
The Rex
Ok so I sold my other mantis because I want a Peacock. I just finished setting up my 20 gal tank as a saltwater tank. Couple questions, just found out there is a peacock available at my local fish store it's 5 inchs. I wanted a smaller mantis but if this guy is not gonna smoke my glass I wouldn't mind getting him. Is it common for peacocks to attack glass. My other mantis didn't ever bother but I know peacocks get fairly large and can do some damage. I only want to hear for people that experienced peacock mantis shrimps first hand.

VLDesign

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2007
IL
No way it's going to break the glass. I've had numerous peacocks and first of all I never seen them striking glass unles you tease it with a crab outsire the tank. Secondly, I have never seen one confirmed report of one breaking a tank. Just people who claim to know someone who said it broke the tank. Never any solid proof.

serafino

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
You could go with thick acrylic say to the point is bullet proof so like 1 inch thick. Never kept one never will. I would think something like 1 inch thick would be fine unless you aren't going to change the tank. Then I have no idea.

Kdcarey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2007
Florida
THey get massive like 15in and there head the size of a tennisball

509stinger

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2007
washington
for fun we had one break a ten gallon tank at shop i worked at a few years back by teasing it with a crab in a clear plastic cup next o he tank and it was only 3-4 inches

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
Kdcarey;1722933; said:
THey get massive like 15in and there head the size of a tennisball
No way a mantis gets that big. Mine is smacking the glass all day long (she was redocorating--does is so much Hubby says it's gotta be a "she") & it sounds like a marble smacking against the glass. The tank is still in one piece.

alcohologist

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2007
singapore
gotta disagree with that one. i've seen mantis shrimp over a foot long, about three inches wide. "head the size of a tennis ball" is only a little larger than that.
i saw these monster mantises in a seafood restaurant, by the way. seen them in hong kong, indonesia and thailand. not sure what kind of mantis exactly but deff smashers.

VLDesign

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2007
IL
alcohologist;1723284; said:
gotta disagree with that one. i've seen mantis shrimp over a foot long, about three inches wide. "head the size of a tennis ball" is only a little larger than that.
i saw these monster mantises in a seafood restaurant, by the way. seen them in hong kong, indonesia and thailand. not sure what kind of mantis exactly but deff smashers.
Not to be rude but why do people insist on opening their mouths without some sort of factual accuracy to back it up? And you are going to disagree with what exactally? That you don't have a clue as to the species of mantis you saw? Also unless you had a tape measure handy I would seriously doubt your ability to properly estimate the size of a dead mantis shrimp.

Peacock mantis shrimp DO NOT get bigger than 7-8 inches. Period. What you saw was NOT a peacock mantis shrimp.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store