Peacock Mantis Break glass?

schaadrak

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 4, 2007
Uppinnia
VLDesign;1723949; said:
While different materials have different "breaking points" it's been already proven in myth busters that the myth about breaking a car window isn't all that easy underwater. This factor always gets overlooked when dealing with a mantis strike. Was the strike measured out of water? If it was, This would throw off the overall striking abilities of the mantis and skew the "potential reports".

There is video proof out there of them breaking standard 1/8" window pane glass but nothing more. My guess is that they just dont have the power required to do it.
The reason it isn't that easy for humans to break glass underwater is because we cannot move anything fast enough to create enough force to break it. We're not built for it. It would be just as difficult to break a hard shell underwater using the same tools Mythbusters did.

Also part of the experiment describes "forces generated from collapsing cavitation bubbles" so I'm assuming they performed it underwater.

I'm not saying it has happened or is common place, I'm merely pointing out the data leans towards the glass breaking side and that it might not be a bad idea to lay a large piece of starboard under your sand before you setup a glass mantis tank.

alcohologist

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2007
singapore
VLDesign;1723362; said:
Not to be rude but why do people insist on opening their mouths without some sort of factual accuracy to back it up? And you are going to disagree with what exactally? That you don't have a clue as to the species of mantis you saw? Also unless you had a tape measure handy I would seriously doubt your ability to properly estimate the size of a dead mantis shrimp.

Peacock mantis shrimp DO NOT get bigger than 7-8 inches. Period. What you saw was NOT a peacock mantis shrimp.
i dont want to start an argument, especialy because i respect you, but my reply was to pufferpunk, who stated that "no way a mantis gets that big"... i know fully well that the mantises i saw were not peacocks.

the foot long mantises i've seen were alive, and i think i can judge the length of something in a shallow pool, right up against the glass. no i don't know what the species is exactly, but as already stated my reply was only to contradict what pufferpunk said.
sorry if you misunderstood my post.

RobD23

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2005
The Rex
It seems my question has been answered either way... The truth of the matter is no one that has kept a mantis on this forum has witnessed it crack or break glass. Thanks for the input I plan to buy the peacock :headbang2

AW2EOD

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2007
The East Side
I have kept a few O.scyllarus, over the years. Many times, I've witnessed them strike glass and even once saw a small "chip" (large specimen in a 10gal tank)...but nothing more than that. Good choice, by the way. They're highly intellegent (will actually walk around the tank, following you, to see what you're doing) and fun to keep.

Every account that I've ever heard or read, about them breaking glass was a mistake made on the part of the Mantis. In the wild, they burrow and if need be, will strike rock, to break it, to continue their burrow. The accounts I'm talking about have been the Mantis burrowing into the sand, reaching the bottom of the tank and striking it, just as they would rock. The result was small cracks in the bottom of the tank, that led to leaks.

Now, onto the identities of these giant Mantis, with the "head the size of a tennis ball".

There is, in fact, a species that will reach lengths of 14" - 16"...the largest of all stomatopods...L. Maculata. These are a "spearer" Mantis and not a "smasher", like O. scyllarus.

chrisdef15

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2005
Australia
AW2EOD;1726923; said:
Every account that I've ever heard or read, about them breaking glass was a mistake made on the part of the Mantis. In the wild, they burrow and if need be, will strike rock, to break it, to continue their burrow. The accounts I'm talking about have been the Mantis burrowing into the sand, reaching the bottom of the tank and striking it, just as they would rock. The result was small cracks in the bottom of the tank, that led to leaks.

Do you have any links to these accounts of them breaking glass? That dont involve some attention seeker claiming it happened to a friend of a friend?

pcfriedrich

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2008
North Central Florida
RobD23;1726847; said:
It seems my question has been answered either way... The truth of the matter is no one that has kept a mantis on this forum has witnessed it crack or break glass. Thanks for the input I plan to buy the peacock :headbang2
let us know if it busts the tank and goes on a killing spree!

alcohologist

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2007
singapore
AW2EOD;1726923; said:
Now, onto the identities of these giant Mantis, with the "head the size of a tennis ball".

There is, in fact, a species that will reach lengths of 14" - 16"...the largest of all stomatopods...L. Maculata. These are a "spearer" Mantis and not a "smasher", like O. scyllarus.

interesting... the unknown mantises i saw were in that size range, but definitely not L maculata - they were a drab pale green, and definitely smashers...[tasty too;) ] anyone know of a mantis that fits that description?

Dracor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2008
Indianapolis
Wow! Alright, just a quick little info on physic's. But the reference to breaking glass underwater is the fact that both sides are underwater and as for a fish tank the water is on one side putting more force towards the outside. So if someone can calculate the force pressure of the water with the force being hit towards the glass as well. But as for shrimp I have no clue, I'd just like to see these shrimp. They sound impressive in there own nature.

VLDesign

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2007
IL
alcohologist;1726155; said:
i dont want to start an argument, especialy because i respect you, but my reply was to pufferpunk, who stated that "no way a mantis gets that big"... i know fully well that the mantises i saw were not peacocks.

the foot long mantises i've seen were alive, and i think i can judge the length of something in a shallow pool, right up against the glass. no i don't know what the species is exactly, but as already stated my reply was only to contradict what pufferpunk said.
sorry if you misunderstood my post.
Yeah my message came across way harsher than intended. Sorry about that.

I get pretty vocal about the mis-information about the peacocks lately and well I assumed that the thread title which was specifically peacocks would help prevent that and when you said not true mantises do get bigger I kind of assumed you had understood that this thread was about peacocks and not other species.

And you ate my little buddy's cousin? :lipsseale

alcohologist

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2007
singapore
haha. no problem. it gets to me when people don't do proper research either.
mantis pretty much tastes like crab. harder to get to the flesh though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store