Piranhas illegal in Nj

surfermike915

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2022
Yes I know that piranhas are legal right now in Nj, but I’ve been hearing chatter that they will become banned very very soon. Hopefully this is not true or this is some years down the road.

• Wow
Reactions: tlindsey

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Curious where you heard this - I haven’t seen anything regarding it.
Would be a real shame if I couldn’t keep one of my favorite fish.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
......and that would be a huge blow to the vendor/shop Aquascape as they deal heavily in piranha...or,they sure used to.

surfermike915

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2022
......and that would be a huge blow to the vendor/shop Aquascape as they deal heavily in piranha...or,they sure used to.
Exactly. Personally, I am in huge disagreement with this whole out lawing animals thing. There are better ways to do it but if you are the government, that doesn’t matter. Makes me angry. They don’t care how many small mom and pop shops they close as a result of the Lacey Act.

surfermike915

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2022
Curious where you heard this - I haven’t seen anything regarding it.
Would be a real shame if I couldn’t keep one of my favorite fish.
I asked a local fish store owner why he was charging $45 a piece for .5” red belly piranha. He said it was from the new laws thatll be in place I find it totally ridiculous if this is true but once again I hope someone who is more well versed in this can give some inlut

Reactions: Deadeye

Kevin@TUIC

Dovii
Staff member
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Piranha are NOT illegal in NJ.
they are indeed illegal to land at JFK and /or Laguardia Airports in NY and cannot be sold within the 5 borough's of NYC. In NJ they are still okay to land and be sold anywhere.
Piranha are however banned for collection and export from Colombia & Venezuela. This has been the case for about 2 years now at this point. So this now limits us to piranha species from Brazil and Peru for the most part. so off the top of my head this will eliminate wild cariba, mento, denticulata and a few others from that region of the world. included in the same ban would be wild Cichla species from Colombia, Venezuela, and also Peru. Oscars, yep oscars, are also banned for export from Peru

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store