Piranhas in a community aquarium, and new communtiy tank ideas for polleni

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
Hi Guys, Sorry for the late response.
I have posted some pics of the tank. So they should be up for you all to see.
My tank is in South Africa. I had to sell it (All 8 RBP were homed together in a 2.8 m long tank of their own) as I am now currently staying in Dubai. Which I might add seems to have no legal issues when it comes to tropical fish. I have seen snake heads, African lung fish and pacus (sold as piranhas) all types of arowanas at various markets and shops. No one seems very educated about these poor creatures and keep them in very small set ups, often crammed together. I have stopped visiting these places as it quite heart breaking.
I didn't manage to keep my RBP for as long as I would have liked. Maybe I would have experienced issues in the future years if I had. But for 2 and half years they seemed well behaved. I think this was mostly down to always feeding them a variety or foods, pellets, hake, tilapia, chicken, heart (very seldom - treat only). I think their good natured behaviour was also due to the fact they had been the newest fish, and so had grown up from inch - lings with all their tank mates. One of my friends in SA had a tank break, and needed to urgently house his two 45cm pangasius cat fish. he had no other place to house these fish as he knew no one else with a large enough tank and I lived down the road. I turned the lights off, rearranged the tank, and then put them in. I left only to wash my hands leaving the room completely dark, and then come straight back to observe everyone's behaviour in very dim light. only when I came back after those few minutes there was nothing bit bones and a head left of these pangasius. They had stripped these two poor catfish literally to the bone. Still piranhas and predators at the end of the day.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
All I can see is that Oscar will become a big fat nice snack to those P's. :)
Only need 1 curious bite or a fin snipping from 1 of the Piranha and the oscar will be history!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store