Planaria

Tanyoberu

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2006
NJ
I believe I have a planaria infestation. But can they live in a brackish tank with 1.010 SG? If not, what could it be on my glass walls? I'll be doing water changes to get rid of them, but I want to know what they could possibly be. Since I have all eurahaline fish, I can also push the salinity up fairly quickly without doing harm to the fish (bacteria cultures will suffer.) Will that help with my infestation?

bigspizz

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2007
Yes they can and do live in all water systems, fresh to full marine. Keep up with the changes, and cut down on feeding. Feed VERY sparingly for a while.

Tanyoberu

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2006
NJ
Ok that's some relief. The other problem I have then is that I have play sand for substrate. For the most part it's too light for my vacuum so I just skim over the surface. Is there a heavier sand or small substrate I can use.

I also think I'm going to add another filter tonight. I feel bad cause I have Target Fish in with scats and being known for scale nipping, they pick on the wide bodied scats horribly until they are stuffed, thus the over-feeding on my part.

fallin49er

Gambusia
MFK Member
The Planaria is harmless but is a good indicator that you may not be keeping up on your water changes or are overfeeding...I get it from time to time when I get lazy...(not saying that you are) I use to have play sand in one of my tanks too...I hated it...I normally use a python for water changes but with the play sand I would just use a regular gravel cleaner and a five gallon bucket...i went back to fine gravel...much better...

Tanyoberu

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2006
NJ
Not laziness on my part lol. I do 20% + weekly but I don't vacuum the sand. And in the last few weeks the Target Fish (Therapon Jarbua) have become increasingly aggressive. My solution was to overfeed them. So my blame is the sand combined with the overfeeding.

My solution will be to add two more Therapon Jarbua's to give them each other to chase, add another canister filter and eventually change the sand to a heavier substrate so that I CAN vacuum the gravel.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store