Plant Advice

VTHouseofExotics

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2015
If I were setting up a planted tank for large predatory fish, I would primarily use rhizomatous plants, especially Anubias. I'd actually like to set up a large tank exclusively with various Anubias species, ranging from large A. minima and A. barteri var. barteri, to small A. barteri var. nana 'petite'.
I like that Idea actually! What are the demands of those types of plants? I have some anubias nana but it has some dark green on it and isn't looking 100% It is also recovering from the abuse that the guy who had the bow front before me put them through. they were rough but are coming back. So as of right now my light setup will be 4 T-12 bulbs hanging above the tank about 6". I would like to get a co2 setup as well, but nothing too serious.

VTHouseofExotics

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2015
If I were setting up a planted tank for large predatory fish, I would primarily use rhizomatous plants, especially Anubias. I'd actually like to set up a large tank exclusively with various Anubias species, ranging from large A. minima and A. barteri var. barteri, to small A. barteri var. nana 'petite'.
Also, do you have any suggestions on where to buy a co2 setup? I would like to preferably buy it all as a kit maybe and set it up. But I don't want to spend a ton of money. Somewhere under 150$ maybe?

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
I like that Idea actually! What are the demands of those types of plants? I have some anubias nana but it has some dark green on it and isn't looking 100% It is also recovering from the abuse that the guy who had the bow front before me put them through. they were rough but are coming back. So as of right now my light setup will be 4 T-12 bulbs hanging above the tank about 6". I would like to get a co2 setup as well, but nothing too serious.
Anubias in general are some of the least demanding aquatic plants. Good lighting, fertilization, and injected CO2 are all welcomed but unnecessary. They all grow very slowly, even under perfect conditions, so ideally, you'd want to start with a pretty large number of plants to fill in the space where you want them, rather than waiting for them to grow into a large space. You also have to be conscious of how you are planting them; their rhizomes should not be buried beneath substrate, so you can either attach each plant to a piece of wood, rock, etc., or you can bury the roots and just let the rhizome sit above the substrate. If you use the latter method, you can use root tabs to help keep them well fertilized (but again, this is optional). Your lighting should be adequate.

Also, do you have any suggestions on where to buy a co2 setup? I would like to preferably buy it all as a kit maybe and set it up. But I don't want to spend a ton of money. Somewhere under 150$ maybe?
You will probably end up spending more if you buy it as a kit. The parts you'll need (from most expensive to least expensive) are: CO2 regulator (preferably with a solenoid valve), CO2 tank, diffuser, bubble counter, check valve, and CO2-compatible airline tubing.

With CO2 regulators, you definitely get what you pay for. Expensive regulators ($200+) tend to maintain much more steady pressure, and are less prone to failure (and failure can lead to dead fish). That being said, the best affordable option I know of is the Aquatek Basic CO2 Regulator, which costs $80 on Amazon. I've heard several reports of failure with it, and personally I've recently had some issues keeping my Aquatek Mini Regulator at a consistent pressure, but for the most part, Aquatek regulators seem to get the best reviews in their price range. http://www.amazon.com/Basic-AQUATEK-Regulator-TOUCH-SOLENOID/dp/B0041YLM7G

The next step up from that would be Green Leaf Aquarium's GRO-1 regulator, but it costs $205, so that's probably not an option.

On the bright side, the Aquatek regulator comes with a bubble counter and more airline tubing than you'll ever need, so all that's left is to buy the CO2 tank, the diffuser, and a check valve. You can buy a decent ceramic disc diffuser on eBay or Amazon for about $10, and a check valve should only cost $5 or so. The other big expense is the CO2 tank itself. You'll probably want at least a 5lb tank for a 180 gallon aquarium, which you could buy either online or at a welding supply store, beverage supply store, etc. You can order a 5lb tank for under $60, or a 10lb tank for $80 from this site: http://www.aquariumplants.com/CO2_Cylinders_guaranteed_unbeatable_prices_p/t.htm

To get your tank filled, again, you'll just need to locate either a welding or a beverage supply store, or see if there is an Airgas, or something similar near you.

All in all, you're looking at about $155 for a complete 5lb system, plus shipping, tax, and whatever it costs to fill it (~$15).

EDIT: You'll also need a drop checker, to monitor the CO2 concentration in your water. You can find one on eBay or Amazon for about $10.

Last edited:
Reactions: DarkWolfLove

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
But again, for an Anubias setup, pressurized CO2 would be totally optional. It will get you better (faster) growth, and will help keep algae off the leaves to some extent, but you can do without it and still grow healthy plants.

You could also look into a DIY CO2 system as a significantly cheaper (albeit significantly less effective) alternative, but it is much more difficult to regulate the release of CO2 in such a system.

If you continue dosing Excel, that will help supplement carbon in your system also (but obviously less so than the aforementioned methods), and it's also an effective algaecide.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store