Plastic hinges and handles on lids

morepower16

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2015
What do you use and where do you get a replacement for the plastic hinge and handle on the tank cover?

soupa2

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2007
cyn
I have brought from glass cages few yrs ago and their quality are good compared to marinelands.. only con about is you have to buy a whole bunch so they willing to ship.. handle you can go to big als and they sell them made by marineland or aqueon..

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
Lfs if I have time or big als if I'm busy or lazy.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I don't mess with hinges. Silicone a piece of PVC to glass for a handle.

viejafish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2013
Northeast
Most of my glass lids have no hinges. I used to replace them after they broke but now I don't bother. Plastic hinges trap dirt and only last a few short years, so it's better and cleaner to do without it. Hinges are not mandatory as the lid can easily be lift and put aside when you net or feed fish, just need more care to handle it.

Reactions: boldtogether

Busterny

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2015
Rochester, NY
I saw a you tube video of a sliding top that can be made. It looks pretty easy. Being you have the glass all you would need is the channel piece. Google sliding glass aquarium top.

Reactions: boldtogether

soupa2

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2007
cyn
I saw a you tube video of a sliding top that can be made. It looks pretty easy. Being you have the glass all you would need is the channel piece. Google sliding glass aquarium top.
Now any tried it and is it secured? I have an arowana that loves to jump.. second is it tight fit so not too much condensation???

Robert Fling

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2015
I actually made one for my 125 but the glass I got at lowes is very flimsy, I'm not going to use it because it looks like it'll break easily.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store