Please help me figure out if a Jardini is the Aro for me?

Arkangel77

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
Carriere
I have Kept silvers and did-dent enjoy him. Plus I dont like the look that much.
Blacks are just kinda Like silvers to me- so....
I love Asians and would have one already but not legal here so that's out.
I have Tried Africans but only ones I find are small and impossible to feed so - no go.

That kinda Brings me to Jardini. I like the Body shape but have never tried one. I here they are all insane and got lotsa negative feedback when I ask about keeping them?

My Question is - Are Jardini Aro's all Psycho? if you keep them whats your experience? Are they Hard to feed or care for more or less than any other aro (not talking about Africans here)? Can they be kept with other large fish without Issue?

Please help an Jardini Nubb out - and thanks in advance for any feedback.

Arkangel77

Owens

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2012
Southern Maryland
Jardini are very hardy and easy to take care of. You can pellet or frozen train very easy, most have a pretty good appetite. They are also much smaller than Silver and Blacks, only reaching around 24" max, most people agree that a 180g is suitable.

As for temperament, it seems to be hit or miss. My old 24" Jar was completely fine with anything I put him with, but my new growout wont accept anything that swims in the mid to upper level of the water.

Most seem the do ok with bottom dwellers such as hardy catfish and bichirs, but still not a guarantee.

If you do plan on getting one and are attempting tankmates, have a backup plan ready before you begin. My current Jar destroyed 2 12" datnoids when he was just 6" (within a night) so be prepared.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Jardini are very hardy and easy to take care of. You can pellet or frozen train very easy, most have a pretty good appetite. They are also much smaller than Silver and Blacks, only reaching around 24" max, most people agree that a 180g is suitable.

As for temperament, it seems to be hit or miss. My old 24" Jar was completely fine with anything I put him with, but my new growout wont accept anything that swims in the mid to upper level of the water.

Most seem the do ok with bottom dwellers such as hardy catfish and bichirs, but still not a guarantee.

If you do plan on getting one and are attempting tankmates, have a backup plan ready before you begin. My current Jar destroyed 2 12" datnoids when he was just 6" (within a night) so be prepared.
Great advice and,poor dats lol.

Owens

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2012
Southern Maryland
They were fine, just a little beat up, separated them the next morning. Just goes to show you how varied the aggression can be, even more so considering how beefy dats and aggressive dats can be.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
+1 on that

from what i have seen people have mixed results with jardini. i think their temperaments vary greatly

Arkangel77

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
Carriere
Well Glad to here you diddent Loose the dat's. I have to try it and have him Murder my Big Fire eel or my Big Male Moba Frontosa! I may try it - I can always move stuff around if it dosent work out. Just hate to try it, like the fish, them BOOM - he goes Psycho and I got troubles now, ya know

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Agree with Owens, an alternative to look at is a leichardti, they are usually lighter in color and are slimmer and can get slightly longer, but are more Cohab friendly generally though there have been reports of them being as bad as jars. I prefer jars personally.

Reactions: FishTanksOfCO

Rotaryp04s

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2011

Must have been ntt dats because indo dats would have fought back.

Arkangel77

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
Carriere
Agree with Owens, an alternative to look at is a leichardti, they are usually lighter in color and are slimmer and can get slightly longer, but are more Cohab friendly generally though there have been reports of them being as bad as jars. I prefer jars personally.
ya - its a tuff call ya know. I am kicking it around. Saw some Gold Jars but they SPENSIVE lol

Arkangel77

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
Carriere
ya - its a tuff call ya know. I am kicking it around. Saw some Gold Jars but they SPENSIVE lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store