Please tell me what the fish on the bottom left is

blindkiller85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Orlando, FL
Kill and eat it now, worry about the fine later, huh? I'm a stickler for following Fish and game laws. They are all in place for a good reason, and IMO aren't strict enough nor enforced enough

I would have guessed a Porgy or a white grunt, but I can't see the head or mouth
Not a porgy, can see that by the shape going to the eyes. White grunt is what I was thinking from the get go.

And I'm pretty sure the fish is already dead, give the sentiment for following the rules and move on. I'd love to see more enforcement like you and I'm pretty good at following the rules. But not everyone is and there's only so much you can do.

Even I'm guilty of breaking regulations from time to time. If I catch a bass that's half an inch short but it's gut hooked and dead anyways I'm taking it home to eat. And I also take home bass that are 4-6 inches home to study them and Help cycle my new aquariums. And they are released to the same body of water and and given 30 minutes to acclimate.

Reactions: Frank Castle

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
B blindkiller85 I think there's a big difference between keeping a fish that's going to die if you're willing to risk the fine to keep it from going to "waste", as opposed to people going out fishing everyday with no license, keeping 5 times the creel limit on a stringer of fish that are barely HALF the required minimum size and are out-of-season. Yes, we all make mistakes and walk the line a little, but I wouldn't lose sleep about it if I were you. As long as we keep ourselves in check and it's judgement calls that are splitting hairs, it's one thing, but some people just have no respect for the planet. :(

On a side note, I just want to make it known I support selective harvest. For those that are new to the concept, basically if you catch two 12" "Keeper" (or 15" in some places) bass, two 18 inch adults and two monster 24" bass......you release the 12'' so they can grow out and breed, and release the 24" because the amount of sperm or eggs it will produce is detrimental to the population, and you just keep the two 18" for the kitchen table - unless you're me, then you just release all of them :)

Last edited:

blindkiller85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Orlando, FL
I can agree with mot of that. Because I rarely keep fish. In the past 4 years I've kept around 30 bass. And a few hundred grunts, with a few porgys and grouper. But keep in mind this thread was started with a saltwater pic. It's rather hard to break rules and regs from shore.

But with bass the females that grow out to be 8-10+ pounds are food hogs and have a poor spawn vs 4-7. Which is ironic because 2-5 lb are my favorite to eat. Any bigger and I find the flavor isn't as good. But like you said keeping all of them would hurt the lake.

So it's kinda good to remove some. Like the 12lb that I caught and kept in a 10 acre pond. More food to go around for the other bass and more opportunities for the feeder fish to reproduce. It might be a year before the improvement will be seen or more. And I know that because I stopped fishing that lake and advised the residents to stop and report a guy that did kill that lake for 3 years. He was jugging it to death. But that could be the reason that I caught that monster. Because the feeders overpopulated and bass numbers were small and voila bass, eat all you want and get big, fat, and on my wall lmao!

JD7.62

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
at the 'Bama Breeze
Kill and eat it now, worry about the fine later, huh? I'm a stickler for following Fish and game laws. They are all in place for a good reason, and IMO aren't strict enough nor enforced enough

I would have guessed a Porgy or a white grunt, but I can't see the head or mouth

It is indeed a Bermuda Chub which is an unregulated species at least in my state. I told him to eat it because I've heard they are TERRIBLE tasting and I wanted a report!

The "kill it with no ID" just a general statement. People do it all of the time and it amazes me.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
It is indeed a Bermuda Chub which is an unregulated species at least in my state. I told him to eat it because I've heard they are TERRIBLE tasting and I wanted a report!

The "kill it with no ID" just a general statement. People do it all of the time and it amazes me.
lol chubs are baitfish to me, dude. I don't think I could eat a chub of any size or species when they catch so many RIVER MONSTERS!!!! :D

....or in this case it would be an OCEAN MONSTER!!! :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store