Plecos and plants

Captain tank

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2015
Hey, I'm new to Monster fish keepers. And I've been wondering what sort of aquatic plants are tough enough to handle the beating of snowball plecos, a Columbian spotted pleco, black bar silver dollars, and red tailed chalceus. And I would love a plant that's native to the Amazonian river baison because my tank is a Amazon bio type. My tank is 75 gallons, and I have a orbit marine LED lighting system with timer, and my tanks substrate is sand and I have a lot of driftwood. And I've been working in a small business aquarium shop for over a year so I've had some experience in that area, and I've been in the hobby for 5 years. So I know what fish can go with who. But plants and plecos is another rock in my way. And I'd like some advice from even more experienced aquarists. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
Take it from someone with 24 years in the hobby, I wouldn't put plants and plecos together, plecos are well known that as they grow the less algae they eat and turn their attention to finding other food sources which means live plants. Even if you add something like cucumber slices to them, they will eat the cucumber and once it's gone they go back to eating plants...

All species of silver dollars are notorious plant nippers, doesn't matter what type of live plants are in the tank they will nip at any kind of live plants.

Last edited:

Captain tank

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2015
Thanks guys, yah I guess there are limited options. The only one I heard was bamboo but that's semi aquatic and it's not native to SA.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Plants may survive your plecos, but silver dollars are going to destroy them. Chalceus will eat all young leaves, even from Anubias.

Sorry, looks like driftwood it is...

Reactions: Captain tank

Captain tank

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2015
There's tanks that are Amazon Biotope and have no live plants (moss balls are algae) in them and look amazing!!!

That's sort of how my tank is now. It's really cool, but there's no live plants. And I'm getting red tailed chalceus and earth eaters/ geophagus soon.

image.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store