Polypterus photo's

Layne Conitz

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2015
Bismarck, ND
I have been trying to take good photo's of my Senegal bichir and I want his length involved. All of the pictures I get seem good, but just don't show the size of him well. He's 9.5" and would like some info on maybe ways to get him larger? Any advice appreciated!

stanced.jpg

polypterus senegalus.jpg

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
he most likely won't get any larger unfortunately, CB senegals generally top out around 8-10"

good lookin' poly nevertheless!

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Thanks! Got him may 31st this year at 3". He's in a 120 so I was hoping to hit over 10 but like you said not likely
I mean never say never...CB dels aren't supposed to go above like 10 or 11...but mine is at 12.5" right now haha. My normal colored Senegal, before he died on me, was just about 10" then started getting football shaped instead of anymore length lol.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Damn, I fed him yesterday and I've never seen him eat or get that big before. Football is a good way to put it lol.
my Senegal was a pig...anything that hit the sand in his tank was his until he couldn't eat anymore. I never had to train him onto any type of food, took everything straight out of the bag lol. my albino sen was a little more picky, also never got above 6" long either.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Yeah same here! crazy only 6" never heard of that before
well I think his/her genetics where pretty weak as is the case with any long standing line-bred fish. In this case a Senegal bred specifically for the albino trait.

Layne Conitz

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2015
Bismarck, ND
Yeah that makes sense. This ornate bichir I'm buying this week is about 6". Owners bought him and couldn't take care of it after they heard how large it gets so they brought it back

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Yeah that makes sense. This ornate bichir I'm buying this week is about 6". Owners bought him and couldn't take care of it after they heard how large it gets so they brought it back
I love the way ornates look, I wish mine was more personable however, but hes awesome anyhow haha

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store