Pool recommendations and suggestions?

Psylant

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Canada
Hey everyone,

Does anyone here use pools instead of aquariums in their basements? Does anyone have experience with these for example? http://www.canadiant...ml#.VgAUBt9VhBc Is there a better brand/size? I would prefer a 8' diameter but these pools seem to have a great review, and pretty cheap.

I could simply throw my pump into the pool, and have it output into some 55gal drums and flow back into the pool via gravity. I would put some of the dense foam insulation board on my basement's cement floor to help insulate the "pond" and keep it warm. Maybe put some spray insulation foam around the outside of it too? Filling it to the 20" mark would offer about 980 gallons which is pretty overkill. I'd also try to make some type of clear cover for it to keep the heat/water/fish in there. Heat is a concern of mine, due to the cool climate I live in. Humidity won't be an issue. It's very dry and I run my furnace fan 24/7 to circulate air in the house.

The reason I ask all of this is that I need to build a new home for my 23" Mbu Puffer and can no longer afford the 8'x4'x2.5' custom aquarium I was going to build. I've run into some large unexpected expenses lately and this would hopefully buy me enough time until I can afford a real aquarium for him again. I just moved houses a few months ago, and he's still living at my parents house in an aquarium that will *NEVER* be able to get out of their basement. It's simply too heavy, clocking in around 1200lbs.

Please let me know if you have any experience with pools! Any tips, suggestions, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

Psylant

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Canada
No one?!? I know some of you with big cats and what not use pools! Any do's and dont's I should be aware of?

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
Where do you live in Canada? I can get the tank out of the basement if you want to sell it. As for pool options d-rig is right that style of pool will work and be reasonable for price. You can use the 2 holes for the filter for a closed loop for more water movement. Just my thought

Psylant

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Canada
I was looking at one of these for using as an emergency option ,
was thinking of going with a few koi in a pool like this .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370385572101?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

This pool does have a cover but you need to purchase it separately
and you would need to put some clear panels in it for looking through . Good luck .
My concern with this one is that my fish is very large, and has very large teeth, which could possibly puncture the pool.

Psylant

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Canada
Where do you live in Canada? I can get the tank out of the basement if you want to sell it. As for pool options d-rig is right that style of pool will work and be reasonable for price. You can use the 2 holes for the filter for a closed loop for more water movement. Just my thought
I'm just south of Calgary, in Okotoks.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have used the 400+ gal Intex, and the 900+ gal Bestway pools, both average around $100.
Tried the Intex for overwintering koi, water lilies, and Uruguayan cichlids for couple years until the koi got too big, and upgraded to the Bestway. Both worked well, although the Intex seems slightly more solidly built.
Here is the Intex

and now the bestway, over this summer it was used for Tilapia outside.

Psylant

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Canada
I have used the 400+ gal Intex, and the 900+ gal Bestway pools, both average around $100.
Tried the Intex for overwintering koi, water lilies, and Uruguayan cichlids for couple years until the koi got too big, and upgraded to the Bestway. Both worked well, although the Intex seems slightly more solidly built.
Here is the Intex

and now the bestway, over this summer it was used for Tilapia outside.
PERFECT! This is exactly the feedback I'm looking for. Did you find the Bestway pool liner was taught? I think if there aren't folds or slack in the liner he won't be able to bite it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store