Pool sand filter for big tank?

Comanswoodwork

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2012
Pa
Is there any reason using a typical sand filter system from a pool wouldnt work for a large (over 500 gallon) tank? Considering different options for my upcoming build and this seems like a decent idea.

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
The biggest reason is that because the pressure that those sand filters require to work right, you'll need a positive displacement type pump with a very high head. They cost 10x more to run than a centrifugal pump.

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
Our store ran a sand filter for each rack of tanks, which was 40x 20 high tanks and 8x 30 gallon. Tanks gravity drained to a poly sump that fed the intake on a pool pump, that then pumped thru a large sand filter and returned via pvc to the tanks. I will see if I can find a similar filter pic. The pump was 220volt 3 phase I believe, wasn't especially expensive to run but the high pitch whine might drive you crazy. Having the sump and not a closed loop made back washing a lot easier.

mbHR1C_MwzHAF1BmPqrV5fw.jpg

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
Its a huge difference. You're talking about 7- 9 amps on something like that. HUGE difference compared to the most powerful centrifugal pump around 2 AMPs. My 2 Hammerheads cost about 50 bucks a month to run non-stop. I would expect an equivalent from Reeflo is 10amps.. no doubt would be several hundred dollars each to run.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store