Poor oscars

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
Lowest I've seen them for 5 bucks at petsmart some sale. lol I love Oscars but at the same time hate what people do to them.

Mathius page

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2015
Just saw this on CL while looking for stuff. Sad to see oscars treated this way, especially having had oscars before. Probably one of the most mistreated fish in the hobby.
View attachment 1163965
I know it's a waste a time but I would love to have a 1000 people from this site email him telling him what an absolute moron he is

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
dowt raising the price help, They spend a few hundred on the tank, even if you get the 55 pet smart deal, they looking to drop couple hundred at least when all said and done filter gravel heaters, decore. the 50 buck oscar not going phase em.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
and truthfully these folks more into a cool tank, than the fish them selves.

jwh

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2015
south ****holia
For all you know the owner was told by the lfs that the 5 2" oscars he was buying were fine for that tank, and would not outgrow it. Unfortunately poor lfs advice+owner ignorance=this situation

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
This can not be denied, some dang bad advise given by LFS to make a sale. either because they do not know better them selves or do not care.

EcastL

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2015
Down South
I think most people know how big oscars will get, just not how fast it will happen. Also places like petsmart/petco will tell you, I just think the customer first attitude out ways saying now to a customer. As with an independent lfs will tell up straight up, at least mine would, then walk you over to the 4-5 12+ monsters they take in every month.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
I dream of my own lfs where all the cichlids are bred in store by a stunning pair of each species kept in display tanks above the young....

Would help to show what they are getting into and prevent some of this... Oscars need rescuing and rehoming properly, anyone near by, I've rescued several if I have space in my 300g, I then vet the potential buyers. It's the least we can do if we have the room.

Reactions: EcastL and Dee eng
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store