Possible Bowfin Tankmates?

Mikefallen13

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2016
Hello,
So I've been growing out my bowfin for several months now, he's gone from 3" to about 7" and I'm planning on moving him into a slightly bigger tank soon and that got me thinking about possible future tankmates. Now, I'm not talking about putting him with anything anytime soon, I still plan on growing him out for at a minimum several more months (not even sure what size tank I want but I'm leaning toward a 180 or 220, Id love to go bigger but I'm short on space) but I just wanted to get some ideas and possibly start acquiring the fish to start growing out as well. Now I have done some research, I completely understand each individual bowfin can be hit or miss when it comes to tankmates but I want to get some general ideas.

I was originally thinking about just doing a group of bluegill or some other easily replaceable sunfish just to add some action to the tank but now I've been leaning toward something like a florida gar or another larger ambush predator to keep him company. I was hoping for fellow past/present bowfin keepers to chime in on this, anybody can talk hypothetically and I'd really love to hear some actual experiences. Any help would be great!

Thanks!

Duckman77

Piranha
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
Aurora, IL
Hello,
So I've been growing out my bowfin for several months now, he's gone from 3" to about 7" and I'm planning on moving him into a slightly bigger tank soon and that got me thinking about possible future tankmates. Now, I'm not talking about putting him with anything anytime soon, I still plan on growing him out for at a minimum several more months (not even sure what size tank I want but I'm leaning toward a 180 or 220, Id love to go bigger but I'm short on space) but I just wanted to get some ideas and possibly start acquiring the fish to start growing out as well. Now I have done some research, I completely understand each individual bowfin can be hit or miss when it comes to tankmates but I want to get some general ideas.

I was originally thinking about just doing a group of bluegill or some other easily replaceable sunfish just to add some action to the tank but now I've been leaning toward something like a florida gar or another larger ambush predator to keep him company. I was hoping for fellow past/present bowfin keepers to chime in on this, anybody can talk hypothetically and I'd really love to hear some actual experiences. Any help would be great!

Thanks!

Duckman77

Piranha
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
Aurora, IL
Couldn't reply on my computer for some reason.

I have two bowfin right now: 9" and 11". They are in with pumpkinseeds, longears, yellow bass, and perch. No issues at all.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store