Possible Dovii tankmates?

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
I think I already know the answer to this one, but thought I would get some opinions anyway. The fish is in the 13" to 14" range, and I am working on a 8x4x27 plywood tank for him. The tank is in the early stages and is my first build, so it may be a while before it is running. Other than the obvious female dovii choice, does anyone have any suggestions for something else that may work. A fellow hobbyist suggested that Hypsophrys nicaraguensis may be a possibility. If I want to put anything else in the tank, I should probably start growing it out sooner than later.

Covetous

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Florida
I don't super have anything for your possible dovii tank mates. I've seen one housed with a giant red tail cat before, as well as the largest pair of giant gouramis I've ever personally seen. The dovii just kind of chilled in the background while the gouramis tried to eat anyone's face that walked by. This was a 10x4x4 tank though
And also the only Dovii I've ever seen in a personal tank not housed alone. But there are lots of other members here that may have different experiences, I've never actually kept a Dovii. Good luck!

There real thing I wanted to say here was thank you for making me look up plywood tanks. I've never seen one before! Makes sure to post updates on that bad boy.

Reactions: Frank Castle

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
He's such a good looking fish. You've done a good job with him. That's awesome you're building something for him. Also glad to see you post on mfk a little bit.

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
I don't super have anything for your possible dovii tank mates. I've seen one housed with a giant red tail cat before, as well as the largest pair of giant gouramis I've ever personally seen. The dovii just kind of chilled in the background while the gouramis tried to eat anyone's face that walked by. This was a 10x4x4 tank though
And also the only Dovii I've ever seen in a personal tank not housed alone. But there are lots of other members here that may have different experiences, I've never actually kept a Dovii. Good luck!

There real thing I wanted to say here was thank you for making me look up plywood tanks. I've never seen one before! Makes sure to post updates on that bad boy.
Thanks for the input Covetous, I forgot to mention in my op that I am kind of particular about mixing species from different regions. I like all fish not just cichlids, so any ca species could be a candidate.

A DIY plywood tank is really about the only realistic option I have to get that large of a tank, and I plan on starting a thread in the DIY section on this site soon.

He's such a good looking fish. You've done a good job with him. That's awesome you're building something for him. Also glad to see you post on mfk a little bit.
Thanks Ehh. Honestly I was checked out of the hobby for the better part of this past year dealing with some issues. I wasn't even living at the same house as my fish for months. I almost got rid of everything a couple of times, but am glad I did not. I am trying to be a little more serious with the hobby, and the long overdue upgrade for the dovii and being more active on forums is part of that.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
I think if you can get fully grown nicaraguense, they would work well providing the tank was well aquascaped with large rocky retreats and shelters.
If it worked it would make a nice biotope as nicaraguense have been observed in nature adopting the fry of Dovii and protecting them as if they were their own.
Obviously there are no guarantees so you would need to have a back up plan if all goes wrong.

MP_cichlid

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2015
Connecticut
it could work, i agree that lots of rock and wood work would be necessary, you could also try some sort of schooling fish

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Thanks for the input Covetous, I forgot to mention in my op that I am kind of particular about mixing species from different regions. I like all fish not just cichlids, so any ca species could be a candidate.

A DIY plywood tank is really about the only realistic option I have to get that large of a tank, and I plan on starting a thread in the DIY section on this site soon.

Thanks Ehh. Honestly I was checked out of the hobby for the better part of this past year dealing with some issues. I wasn't even living at the same house as my fish for months. I almost got rid of everything a couple of times, but am glad I did not. I am trying to be a little more serious with the hobby, and the long overdue upgrade for the dovii and being more active on forums is part of that.
Oh dang. Sorry to hear that. Well, I welcome you back to the hobby haha.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
again, lots of rocks, caves, wood, and pipes and hide-spaces, but I like the ideas of oversized Catfish, specifically Giant Raphaels, however my input of possibilities (which anything mentioned at all is just a possibility) is Tilapia Buttekofferi, Umbriferum, an adult male Jaguar, a large male Amphilophus, a Tigerfish, a Stingray, a Gar, a Bowfin, a Snakehead, a Wolffish, a Payara and maybe large Datnoids?????

Any of that stuff sound cool to you?

I'm sure with an appropriate basking spot and proper lighting some turtles would make ideal tankmates as well, perhaps a Mata Mata.....or a Pignose, or perhaps something as simple as a Redear Slider

Last edited:

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
I personally don't think you stand much chance of keeping anything with it for life.Sooner or later I think the dovii will kill anything you keep with it.
The only fish I would risk trying is nicaraguense due to the strange relationship they have in nature.I believe nicaraguense are the only fish dovii will allow in its territory in the wild.
I still feel this would be a risky move but the only fish that may or may not be tolerated by a large adult Dovii.
People do keep other fish with dovii and it works only for so long.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I personally don't think you stand much chance of keeping anything with it for life.Sooner or later I think the dovii will kill anything you keep with it.
The only fish I would risk trying is nicaraguense due to the strange relationship they have in nature.I believe nicaraguense are the only fish dovii will allow in its territory in the wild.
I still feel this would be a risky move but the only fish that may or may not be tolerated by a large adult Dovii.
People do keep other fish with dovii and it works only for so long.
Aren't nicaraguense just tiny little critters though?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store