Possible Dovii tankmates?

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
Somehow I missed the second page or the thread when I made my last reply. It really would be cool to see the symbiotic relationship with the nics and some fry. My original plan was male dovii only. If I tried tank mates it would be an either or situation. A female dovii or a small group of fish that might be tolerated, but not both. I thought the absence of a female might up the chances of having something else work out. As much as I like having breeding pairs, I don't think I want a female. There are enough dovii in the world, and I really don't like the idea of trying to do tank maintenance with a couple of killers in it. I may get some nics grow them out and decide later.

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
Could try a lake Nicaraguan biotope with dovii and juvenile bullsharks
LOL! I do live on a pretty big lot on the northern gulf coast. I could excavate about .5 acres and collect my own sharks, or I could slip the stock into a nearby private pond. I don't think the neighbors would mind.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I thought about possibly red hooks. I can get them locally and who doesn't like a nice group of SD. They don't really fit the CA biotype, but I could call it a south Florida biotype.

Thanks for the suggestions. Most of them sound very cool to me, but are a little larger and more aggressive than what I had in mind. If this build works out, I may try a second larger one and you got some good candidates for it there.
how many gallons will the plywood tank be???

Could try a lake Nicaraguan biotope with dovii and juvenile bullsharks
LMFAOOOO!!!!!! You ididiot hahaha

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
how many gallons will the plywood tank be???

LMFAOOOO!!!!!! You ididiot hahaha
Hey Frank, If the current project goes well I may just do a second 470g. If I get really ambitious I may try and do something in the 1000g range, maybe 12'x5'x30". I would have to build an outbuilding for all my normal garage stuff first.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Hey Frank, If the current project goes well I may just do a second 470g. If I get really ambitious I may try and do something in the 1000g range, maybe 12'x5'x30". I would have to build an outbuilding for all my normal garage stuff first.
IDK about the other large aggressive male Cichlids I mentioned, but you can certainly try some of the other options in a 470g like big armred catfish - a Giant Raphael would be perfect, and you could do a Mata mata in that as well. I have also found that in a large tank, Channel catfish are so active and high-energy nothing seems to want to bother them for long. I think a Stingray would be a wonderful addition at that size tank also, it's just that ******* barb......I'd worry more about my Dovii than the Stingray.

I bet he'd totally leave Gars alone.....you could catch your own locally, quarantine and treat for pathogens,, and put a few in w/ him and see how it goes. Aim for Gars in the 24" range.....I used to catch them on Bass shiners in the St. John's River whenever I was in FL - all you gotta do is find some and then dangle a minnow in front of them and be patient.

MP_cichlid

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2015
Connecticut
I think the red hooks would do well, they are big enough to not be a snack, fast, hardy, can school quite well and there r ferocious feeders.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store