Pot scrubbies in a FX 6 ?

Freshwater4Life

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2015
VB
So I had some laying around and decided to throw some pot scrubbies in the bottom basket of my FX 6 filter. Everything seems to be running just fine mechanically but was just wondering if this is a legitimate bio media in a canister filter ? I know it's great in trickle towers and what not. Any info appreciated

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
No one can really answer the question accurately. What works for one will not for another etc... The differences between bio load, tank size, feeding etc... make it difficult to say one way or the other. Pot scrubbers (I have piles as well) are just surface area. They have far less surface area for the valuable real estate of an FX6 vs a traditional ceramic type media. So they will not be as efficient in a head to head comparison. Having said that if your bio load is not pushing the filter to it's max it's a moot point anyway and may be sufficient. Does that make sense?

If it works and your ammonia is 0ppm, then it is good to go. Bacteria aren't picky where they choose to colonize.

Reactions: Freshwater4Life

Freshwater4Life

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2015
VB
No one can really answer the question accurately. What works for one will not for another etc... The differences between bio load, tank size, feeding etc... make it difficult to say one way or the other. Pot scrubbers (I have piles as well) are just surface area. They have far less surface area for the valuable real estate of an FX6 vs a traditional ceramic type media. So they will not be as efficient in a head to head comparison. Having said that if your bio load is not pushing the filter to it's max it's a moot point anyway and may be sufficient. Does that make sense?

If it works and your ammonia is 0ppm, then it is good to go. Bacteria aren't picky where they choose to colonize.
Oh yea definitely. I appreciate the response and from some other reading I've done too it seems ceramic rings and the like seem to pack the better punch for cannister filters. That's what I have in my middle basket and next time I service them I'll probaly switch out the scrubbies for more ceramic.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Oh yea definitely. I appreciate the response and from some other reading I've done too it seems ceramic rings and the like seem to pack the better punch for cannister filters. That's what I have in my middle basket and next time I service them I'll probaly switch out the scrubbies for more ceramic.
Or you can save yourself a few bucks. I use pond matrix in laundry bags (for easy removal/containment). Pond martrix is a ceramic type media that is just as good as most of the more expensive medias on the market. I fill all three trays with it. I only run bio media and the mechanical sponges in all of my canisters.

Reactions: Freshwater4Life

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
Get a sump trust me and get 300 scrubbies plus bio balls as trickle filters.

Once you go sump you never go back

Freshwater4Life

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2015
VB
Tank is not drilled and it's located in my bedroom plus I already got another FX 6. I know it's all anyone ever says when a filtration question comes up.

nossalucard

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2015
North Carolina
Pot scrubbies will work fine, I use them in all my canisters (FX5/6, 2262, SUNSUN, Aquatops, CFS700)and they never clog to the point a good spraying with the water hose and high pressure nozzle can't clean them.

I'm currently cycling a batch of 50 scrubbies now for about 6 weeks in my CFS700, which I will put in my new 2262 when the time comes.

Here they are...

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/attachments/image3-jpg.1184747/

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Scrubbies serve as great surface for biomedia, both in sumps and canisters. I've used them both ways with great results. For canisters, I've had them in both Rena Filstars and FX5s.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store