Potamotrygon Histrix - A profile

blackwolfXKAV

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2006
New Britain, CT.
Recently, in an lfs, I saw what ws only labeled as a "Yellow histrix ray". It might have been about 5-7" diameter for the body disc (not sure what the correct anatomical term is) with a tail perhaps half to a third as long as the body. Its coloration, though markedly variable, as with most rays, I've been told; resembled those pictures. It appeared active, and the owner said it had been eating for them, however, I have no intentions of purchaisng that ray due to the fact that this particular store is of...ill-repute..and the ray's tail did not appear to be in good health. The store wanted 79.99 US for it, though sadly they were not even able to tel me the min. size other than "you'll need a huge tank"

so, I did the right thing and did not purchase it. I went home and have since begun to reseacrh its requirements, however, I have not been able to find much.

Could you help me out here?

Thanks,

B.W.

blackwolfXKAV

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2006
New Britain, CT.
davo;582028; said:
thought hystrixs were smaller than that, about 13" max. give or take. anyhow, one thing i would add, is acuisition of these rays is usually because people want a smaller ray. make sure you identify it as a true hystrix, not the "peruvian hystrix" which will get a lot bigger.
does anyone have any ID info for the peruvian histrix, so I can ensure I know what I'm (possibly) buying?

Thanks.

john C

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2007
ohio
i think Colin is right i had one and it was sold to me as a Guyana. mine had a Strong pattern appearance but unfortunately it only made it for about six months nice fish don't know much about them.

turkeyboy85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
mn
yea its a guyana also known as a humerosa/ orbignyi they are often confused the best way to tell the difference between the two is if the back feels rough, then its a humerosa

turkeyboy85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
mn
I dont think so.. i think its to light and doesnt have the pattern that the scobina does

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store